Chapter 24

Nick's POV

I look at 1 month old Taylor who's currently sleeping in her crib and wonder how I got here. How I ended up so lucky. I feel arms go around me and I breathe in Layla's wonderful scent. I turn around and kiss her.

"How long has she been asleep?"

"Only for about 5 minutes,"I tell her and she grabs my hand, pulling me out of the room. I wiggle my eyebrows and she just shakes her head. Pretending to pout, I stomp my foot and she just laughs.

"Dinners done. We can do stuff after, I promise." I perk up at that and follow her like a lost puppy into the dining room. We sit down to eat and I notice that Layla's being unusually quiet.

"What's wrong baby?" She looks up at me with tears in her eyes. I immediately rush over and kneel in front of her. I wipe her tears away with my thumb and she smiles.

"I found her." My eyes widen and she continues. "I was just looking for her and not her mom, so I looked up a Susan Hartley where my mom used to live with Derek and I found one. She's a werewolf and is in the Bright Star pack, which is where Eric went and found out that Derek had another child. I already called the Alpha and he gave me permission to stay on his territory for as long as I need. I couldn't find Brynn because she's married and her last name is now McKnight. Derek must've tried to trip me up by using her surname so that way I wouldn't be able to find her."

"That's great baby! When are you going to see her?"

"Tomorrow and if you will, can you watch Taylor?" I nod and she smiles. "I emailed her mom and she said that Brynn has no idea, but that I'm welcome to go tell her. She said that Brynn knows that her father is not a good man, so she's never tried to find him." I kiss her and we finish dinner and talk about her sister. Afterward, we went up to the room and Layla made good on her promise.

Layla's POV

I stand in front of Brynn's two story, blue house. Taking a deep breath and straightening my dress, I walk up and ring the doorbell.

"I'll get it,"a woman's voice calls from inside. I let out a nervous breath as Brynn opens the door. She looks even prettier than the photo that I saw of her. She has dark, brown hair and is, if I did my calculations correctly, 23. She has some of the same facial structure as I do, but what sticks out the most is her violet eyes.

"Can I help you?"Brynn asks.

"Hi, my name's Layla. Can I come in for a minute? I have something very important to tell you." Brynn nods and we walk into her living room, where her husband is watching TV.

"What's going on?"Her husband asks turning the TV off.

"I'm not sure Ethan. I just figured that I would let this girl explain." Ethan sits up straighter and I sit down in a chair across from them.

"Do you want me to tell both of you or?"

"Both of us. I'm not leaving her alone for whatever this news is." I smile at them and think of Nick, wondering how him and Taylor are doing.

"Okay, so do you know who your father is?"

"No,"Brynn shakes her head. "Just that he wasn't very nice to my mom and then left her to take care of a baby by herself.

"Well, his name is Derek Morrison." Brynn looks away.

"Why are you telling me this? I don't want to know. I want you to get out, now." She stands up and I grab her hand.

"He's also my father." She pauses and sits back down, not letting go of my hand.

"Did he stay with you?" I nod and can see the bitterness coming back.

"He took me away from my mother when I was just a year old. I grew up not knowing who my mother was or why my father hated me."

"Why did he take you?"

"He was angry that my mother had found her true mate and was going to leave him."

"You said that he hated you. Why?" Brynn looks at me, curiosity swimming in her eyes, the bitterness gone. I thought it would get easier saying it by now, but telling people how Derek abused me is still hard.

"Derek abused me very badly." Brynn gasped and asked me how long he did it. "I was 17 when I got away from him, though I wasn't truly away until I was 18."

"Because of child custody?" I snort at Ethan's question, wishing that it was that easy.

"No because a few months later, after I turned 18, he kidnapped me. I fought him off and in the process, I.. I killed him." I cringe at the memory of my claws sliding into his stomach, his blood pooling onto my hand. Nick helped me believe that I wasn't a killer, but I still have a hard time thinking about Derek's death.

"I'm so sorry,"Brynn says and then looks down at my hands. I see her stare at my wedding ring for a second before looking up.

"How old are you?"

"I'm 18. I'll be 19 in a couple of months." I can see her confusion at how young I am and how could I be married already. Werewolves used to get married and have kids at this age, but it stopped and became very uncommon for it to happen. Too many werewolves were getting judged by humans or being too irresponsible for a family.

"I met my mate, Nick, when I was 17 and we got married several months after. We united our pack and now we both run the Red Moon pack."

"I would love to meet him." I smile and we make a plan to meet at a coffee shop in the morning. I leave, happy that my sister is letting me in. I rush home, eager to see my daughter and tell Nick all about today.