Bash's Return

I don't own Reign!!!

Francis sat in his study with his mother. They didn't say anything, merely looked at each other.

Finally Francis spoke "Alright mother, I know, you know what really happened to Ella. Now tell me."

Cathrine frowned "It is not my place to say..."

Suddenly a page knocked and announced Bash's arrival. He had just returned.

Bash entered with a serene smile on his face "Hello brother! Hello Cathrine! How are you both?" Then seeing their frowns sighed "What did I miss?"

"Well," Cathrine started "Mary snuck into Ella's rooms to spy on her, she saw the scars on her back, then she was caught..."

"WHAT?!" Bash yelled.

"Be quiet and let me finish!" Cathrine said crossly. "Mary was caught by Ella and, luckily was let off with a warning. But," she hesitated "Bash, her forgiveness came at a price."

Bash sat down and buried his face in his hands. His muffled voice came out "What was the price?"

Francis and Cathrine shared a look then Francis said slowly "Kenna had to leave Mary's service and join Ella's. She spied on Ella for Mary and helped get Mary into her rooms."

Bash's face turned red with rage at his wife and he stood up but Francis and Cathrine pushed him back down.

"Let me go!" He hollered "Let me go! I need to talk to Ella! Please tell me she's alright! Please?!"

Surprised Francis answered "Ella is fine Bash. So is Kenna. She is more than fine. But you can't go barreling into Ella's rooms anymore. While you were gone, just this morning really, she told us something. Well mother something, I already knew."

"What?" Bash asked, intrigued.

"Ella," Cathrine declared proudly "has been declared by the pope to be Empress of all Russia!"

Bash fell back in his chair and stopped struggling to get up.

"What?" He asked in shock.

Cathrine rolled her eyes and started to repeat herself but Bash cut her off. "No, no, I heard you the first time. I just can't believe it. Our Ella? The little girl who would always beat us in our races around the castle grounds? The one who loves nothing more than to ride astride, like a man, and hunt? It can't be."

"Oh but it is." Came a voice from the doorway and Ella strolled in "Bash," She said sweetly "I was just about to come and find you. I heard you had returned. I wanted to be the first to tell you what happened last night and the consequences of it, but I see I was beaten to the punch."

"Ella, please I'm sorry about Kenna, we were in a fight. Otherwise I would have kept a closer eye on her..."

Ella waved her hand, as if it were nothing. "Worry not Bash, all is forgiven with Kenna. I am giving her a second chance as one of my ladies. She and I had a lovely conversation this morning and I think she will fit in well with my other ladies."

"But Ella," Bash said, hesitating, "Kenna's home is in France, and what are we to do once you leave?"

"Well," Ella looked at Francis "I was thinking of offering you a place as one of my advisors, Bash. That is, if your brother will allow me to steal you away."

Bash looked at Francis. "Would you?"

"Do you want to go?" Francis sighed

Thinking hard, Bash said "I want to be with Kenna. But, Francis, can I leave you and Mary after what happened?"