Prison

I don't own Reign!!!

Mary sat in the sitting room of the palace she was held in. She was treated well enough but she was never allowed to forget that she was a prisoner, alive, at the mercy of Elizabeth. She was fed well, dressed in modest, simple gowns of black, and locked in her room at night.

Elizabeth must have known that she wasn't trying to contact Francis to help her. She knew it was a long shot and dangerous, but she didn't care. She had been trapped for almost two years. She was desperate.

"Ladies, will you fetch Lord Christian for me?" Mary called, Lord Christian was her "host," her jailer, her warden.

Lord Christian entered quickly "You wished to see me Queen Mary?" He bowed slightly.

"Yes Lord Christian." Mary nodded "I was wondering when dinner is to be? And will we have any guests? I had hoped the French ambassador might be joining us."

"No, your majesty. You are forbidden to receive diplomats while you are here." Lord Christian reminded the crestfallen Queen.

"Ah yes, I'd forgotten." Mary lied, in truth she had hoped that that particular rule might have been lifted.

"Well, dinner will be at five. I shall see you then, if that is all?" Lord Christian inclined his head questioningly.

"Yes, yes, I'll see you then." Mary nodded in dismissal. Her two ladies, assigned to watch her every move picked up their needlework and began to work on their embroidery.

Lady Margaret was an old woman, nearly forty, with greeting hair and wrinkles. She had served Elizabeth for years, since she became Queen. Lady Savanna was young and vibrant, full of life and wit. She was blonde and blue eyed and an expert at keeping her mouth shut.

"Lady Margaret?" Mary asked.

"Yes your Majesty?" Margret responded, not looking up from her needlework.

"Remind me of what you are embroidering." Mary said.

"A bird and a saying, your majesty." Lady Margaret told the prisoner Queen.

"What saying?" Mary gritted her teeth. She had to be so specific with her questions with these ladies. It was frustrating.

"'When the storm passes, I shall fly.'" (A/N: I have no idea if this is a real quote. I just made it up. I'll explain why at the end of the chapter) Lady Margaret smiled "It was a favorite quote of my husband."

"Tell me about your husband." Mary commanded, perhaps she could find some common ground with the cold ladies.

"His name was Lord Charles, Baron of Devon." (Again making this up) Lady Margaret our down her sewing "He was as good a husband as he could be. He was kind and attentive to me. I could ask for little more."

"Tell me about your husband, Lady Savanna." Mary ordered.

"I married Lord Joshua two years ago." Lady Savanna set aside her sewing as well "Our marriage ended after only a year."

"I'm so sorry!" Mary exclaimed "What happened?"

"He died." Savanna replied shortly "Of plague. I was at court at the time. I record the news only after his funeral took place."

"That is terrible." Mary tried to console the lady.

"Yes. But it was a year ago, and he was not so good a husband as yours Lady Margaret." Lady Savanna waved her off.

Lady Margaret bowed her head and Mary looked between the two women. She decided to change the subject.

"Would you like to hear about French Court?" She asked and the ladies nodded slightly.

"It was always so beautiful and full of light and life." Mary reminisced, smiling wistfully "My husband, King Francis, was ever loving and kind to me. He is an Angel among men, he loved me so much, so fiercely that I think he would cross an ocean for our love to thrive."

"Clearly not." Lady Margaret snickered.

"What?" Mary was aghast that the soft spoken lady would speak so cruelly about her.

"Nothing your majesty." Lady Savanna shot her fellow lady a stern look "Tell is more about the court."

"Very well," Mary narrowed her eyes "The grounds were extensive and there were fountains and flowers everywhere. The castles were beautiful and large. I remember, as a child, I used to explore them every day. I would come back covered in cobwebs and dust!" She laughed and the ladies smiled.

"It sounds lovely." Lady Savanna looked at her with a sparkle in her eyes.

"It was." Mary sighed.

Word count: 745 words
Okay, I know it's really short but I'm updating again so please be glad of that. So once again I have to rant to you all.

I lost someone I cared a lot about recently. He was my choirs pianist. He died just days before our concert. It was really hard and every rehearsal I take a few people out because they're crying so hard. I want to be here for them so I am. Please know that I'm here for you too. His death wasn't a suicide, it was just an accident, but still that makes it even harder. He was so young and whenever he would walk into the classroom we would yell his name and everyone's eyes would light up.

I also found out before that, that my pharmacy changed their manufacturer for some of my medicine. It basically flushed out of my system and punched me in the face. I got very depressed and suicidal. I'm a lot better now but that's why it's taken so long to get this chapter done.

I'm posting this on Christmas so I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. If you don't celebrate Christmas then I wish you a happy holiday.

I love you all. If you ever need anything please message me and I will listen to you. But if it's an emergency please call the hotline, go to a crisis center, or the ER.
Love,
The Author