War

I don't own Reign!!!

Kenna didn't know what to think. Her new mistress was declaring war on her home county of Scotland, but she was promising to get Kenna's family out and to safety. Kenna was torn. Since entering Ella's service, she had grown to love the queen. She was fun and delightful but could be frightening. She was now more loyal to Ella than Mary and she felt terrible. Mary was her oldest friend, how could she betray her?

"Kenna? Kenna? KENNA!" Shouted a voice, jolting Kenna out of her thoughts. It was Lady Ashley, the youngest of the maids. "Are you alright Kenna?" She asked worriedly.

"Yes, yes I'm fine." Kenna sighed.

"Well, the Empress wants to speak to you." Ashley told her.

"Really? About what?" Kenna asked nervously.

"I don't know. She didn't say. She is in the sparring arena with Prince Dante of Iceland." Ashley reported. "I'd hurry if I were you."

Kenna stood up and placed her book on a nearby table. She hurried to the sparring arena where she saw her Empress locked in combat with Prince Dante, a contender for her hand, of Iceland. Her mistress was, of course, winning. Bash sat on the sidelines watching and Kenna approached her husband.

"Losing badly I see! You taught her well!" Kenna laughed.

"Yes," Bash chuckled "but you should see her on the battlefield, in her element!" He then frowned, realizing how that must make his wife feel when war was being declared on her home country by her mistress. "I-I mean..."

Kenna waved him off and turned to watch as, with a swipe of her sword Ella took Prince Dante's legs out from under him then pressed her blade under his chin in a silent question 'yield?' He nodded and laughing Ella helped him up. They chatted as a servant brought them ice water which they both said drank quickly. Then Ella made her way over to Kenna.

"Good news my friend!" She cried "I've gotten your family safe passage out of Scotland and into Russia where there is a home prepared for them."

"Oh thank god!" Kenna gasped "Thank you Ella! You didn't have to!"

"Nonsense," Ella waved her off "they have also been presented with the titles Duke and Duchess of Moscow. Any lady of mine must come from a high ranking family and no doubt they will loose their Scottish titles once the Queen Mary receives our declaration of war."

Kenna bowed her head and looked at her hands.

"Don't look so glum Lady Kenna. I know this is difficult but I cannot do anything else. Queen Mary disrespected us. She banished me from French court while Francis was hurt. I must show my power, it is necessary for a unwed Queen to be strong and assertive. Please understand Kenna." Ella said, lifting Kenna's chin.

"I do understand." Kenna told the Empress "I do! But it is still difficult, I still care about Mary but I also serve you with my whole heart. I'm not sure what to do."

"That's alright Kenna," sighed Ella "you have every right to feel uncertain. Please know that I consider you to be a friend and I take your feelings into consideration, but I cannot stand by while I am being blatantly disrespected. For I must seem strong and untouchable. Please tell me you understand that."

"I do," Kenna assured her friend "I do. It's just difficult."

"Then take as much time as you need to accept what is happening Kenna." Ella told her kindly "I know how much you love Mary and Scotland and I am sorry for what I have to do."

Kenna nodded and embraced her friend then watched as she went back to the Prince trying to win her hand.

At French court
Francis was much better, nearly completely recovered and had taken back over as king of France, but Mary had hidden Ella's banishment papers in a locked trunk in her rooms. Francis has no idea why his old friend had left so suddenly, his wife had told him it was because she had felt responsible for the attack that had nearly taken his life and had left before the would be assassins were executed.

Devastated by the loss of his friend, Francis had been unable to enter her old rooms for the past three months, but today he had his mother with him and they were going in.

As the servants pushed opened the doors to her chambers, they saw that a letter had been placed on a table, in plain sight. Francis picked it up and read aloud to his mother:

Dear Francis,
I'm so sorry to leave before you are well. Out of my love for you I am leaving behind Lady Adrianna, she will still stay with you and your wife. I assume you don't know the real reason I have left. I suppose your wife has told you some story about how I left because I felt responsible for the attack on the boat. This, I should tell you, is a complete lie. I do feel responsible, but this would not take me from your side when you are hurt. The truth is that your wife, Queen Mary, has banished me from French court and ordered me to leave without explanation or goodbyes. This is a grave insult and she has made an enemy of me. You cannot protect her. I told you once that you were in no danger from me, and I hold to that. Your wife on the other hand has forced me to take drastic measures. War will be declared on her country within four months, I am giving her a chance to repent and apologize, if she does not my wrath will reign down upon her and no one can save her. I am writing this to you as a warning. Please Francis, don't make your wife regret her decisions.
All my love,
Empress Ella

Francis threw down the letter and yelled at the top of his lungs for his wife. He and his mother raced to her rooms, Cathrine now holding the letter.

"MARY!!!" Francis shouted as he entered the room, grabbing the letter from his mother "What is this!?"

Mary stood shaken, they were finally on good terms and now something had happened, she knew deep down that it concerned Ella, but decided to play dumb about her part in the Empress's leaving. "What are you talking about Francis?" She asked calmly.

Francis threw the letter at her "This!!!" He shouted "How dare you! You banished my oldest friend from court and now, if you do not apologize immediately war will break out between your countries. A war, Mary, that I cannot help you with!"

Mary gasped, reading the letter furiously. 'How dare she!' she thought. What was she going to do?

Francis stood, arms crossed and fuming, glaring at his wife "Well?" He demanded.

Mary said nothing.

"I have seen no banishment papers so you must have hidden them. Where are they Mary? Tell me!"

Cathrine stepped in and ordered the guards to search the Queen's rooms, all of them, to leave no trunk unopened, no cushion unturned, and no chest unchecked. Finally, at the bottom of an enormous trunk the papers were found.

Francis read them and looked up, white faced. "These are dated exactly four months ago."

Just then a servant entered the room with a letter from the Empress for Queen Mary. It was a declaration of war on Scotland by Empress Ella and Queen Elizabeth of England. Mary fainted upon reading it.

Word count: 1270 words

Wow! Such a long chapter. What will happen next? Will Mary loose her country? Of course I know, but I can't tell you guys the ending! I really hope you liked the chapter. Please comment, vote, and add to your reading lists! Pretty please! With cherries on top!
Lots of love,
The author❤️