Misery

I don't own Reign!!!

Ella felt sick. She lay in bed awake and frightened. Back at French court she could hear the ghosts of her past circling around her. When she was on the move she could keep them at bay, but staying in one place, no she couldn't do it. She sat up in bed and looked at Lady Rachel who slept in a bed near her. As Ella opened her mouth, she thought about how much she had missed Francis and Cathrine and how sad they would be if she left again. So, she lay back down and tried to sleep.

The next morning Ella gave her ladies their assignments for the day. "Lady Violet, please find out if Lord Narcisse is still here, if so why and how. I regret that I was unable to deal with him before."

Violet curtsied.

"Lady Tiffany, kindly discover the state of affairs in Scotland and if Queen Mary has at all changed the way she rules. Is she still reliant on Francis?"

Tiffany nodded.

"Lady Cassidy, please find out about the King's advisors and how they behave."

Cassidy smiled at the assignment.

Ella pinched the bridge of her nose, thinking hard "The rest of you will listen to gossip, find out whatever you can. But please, nothing to ridiculous. Check your sources girls!" She teased. "Kenna, would you be so kind to wait a moment and help me finish getting ready?"

"Of course." Kenna said happily.

So Kenna helped Ella dress in a shimmering lavender gown and clasp a diamond necklace around her throat.

She braided her hair so it hung down her back like a waterfall

She braided her hair so it hung down her back like a waterfall. Then she walked with the Empress to breakfast.

When they arrived they saw Francis and Cathrine already sitting at the table, Ella had barely sat down before Queen Mary entered the room and quickly looked at her then down to her shoes.

Ella sighed, it was going to be a long visit if Mary couldn't even look her in the eyes.

"Mary," She said "Look up please. I'd like to speak to you." Mary slowly raised her eyes. "I know everything you said about me. Yes all of it, Cathrine and Violet told me all of it."

At this Mary glared at Cathrine who sent a withering look right back at her daughter-in-law. "That was private!" she spat.

"Yes and I already reprimanded Cathrine for that, so you needn't worry. What I am trying to say, Mary, is that I forgive you. You did not like me and I can understand why. But I want you to know that I hold no grudge against you for the cruel words you said. I truly hope that we can be friends now." Ella smiled.

Mary looked up and met her eyes "Really?" She asked cautiously.

"Yes!" Ella gave a tinkling laugh "In fact I have a gift for you both. You can come in now!" She called.