More Than Meets the Eye

I don't own Reign!!!

Ella looked at her lady-in-waiting in shock. Mary was pregnant. To be honest she wasn't that surprised, Lady Adrianna was truly a miracle worker, but Mary had looked so old and worn. She hadn't really though it was possible for the former Scottish Queen to conceive. But life was full of surprises. She had her own secret. One she would announce on her visit to French court. No one else knew and she planned to keep it that way for now. Only if necessary would she reveal the truth to Mary.

She turned away from Kenna, "I can't say I'm surprised Kenna, I did let Lady Adrianna stay for this very reason. I'm very glad for Mary and Francis. Now I'm sure you want to see your old friends, go. You are dismissed for the evening."

Kenna hesitated but nodded, bobbed a curtsy, and left the room quietly. Ella sat down heavily and sighed.

Mary's rooms
Kenna knocked softly at the door, all of a sudden she felt very shy. A page opened the door. He stared at her beautiful blue, white, and gold dress that identified her as one of the Empress's ladies.

As he was staring Lola came up behind him, when she saw Kenna she smiled and pulled her past the dumbstruck page who could only stammer out half a sentence

"But- but I thought..."

"Hush!" Lola said sweetly. "She is an old friend and welcome here." And without another word she tugged Kenna into Mary's bedchamber.

Mary lay on a couch eating a sweet tart. She sighed and looked to the window. She had only conceived this babe because she needed an heir for the French throne. Francis was still extremely upset with her for her actions towards his dearest friend. He had promised her that if this baby was a boy they would never share a bed again. If it was a girl, well, she hoped it was a girl. Despite everything, she loved Francis wholeheartedly and missed him dearly.

Lola pushed open the door quietly and whispered "Mary, there's someone here to see you."

Mary looked up and saw Kenna standing, uncertainly, in the doorway.

"Mary," she began "I can explain..." but Mary was already hugging her old friend. She didn't blame her for the loss of her country, she knew Kenna had probably done everything in her power to prevent it. She held her old friend and they cried together. Despite her love for Ella, Kenna had still missed Mary.

They spent the night talking. Kenna told Mary about her travels, Bash, and her son Charles. Mary told Kenna about Francis, court, and how she hoped this child would be born healthy and happy. Finally, the topic turned to the Empress.

"Kenna," Mary asked "do you enjoy being in Ella's service? Are you treated well?"

Kenna wasn't sure how to respond, she loved being Ella's lady in waiting and she didn't really want to tell Mary that.

"It's alright I suppose," Kenna shrugged. "She is kind but somewhat strict and demanding. But really! It's not terrible."

"Thank god!" Mary fell back on the couch "I was worried that you were being treated as a slave. In horrible conditions."

"No! No!" Kenna cried "I'm treated very well!"

"I knew it! You love being her lady! You wouldn't want to come back to me! Even if you could! How dare you! You come here and act like my friend when in reality you are nothing more than a liar and a traitor! Get out! GET OUT!" Mary screamed and Kenna leapt up to flee, only to be struck across the face by her old queen.

She fell back, blood dripping from the corner of her mouth. Mary froze, her hand still in the air, "Kenna I'm sor-" But Kenna had jumped up and run out of the room in tears. "-ry" Mary finished sadly.

In Ella's rooms
Kenna burst in, sobbing, with tears streaming down her face. The other ladies gathered around her and tried to calm her down and wipe the blood from her mouth. Ella swept in and saw the blood and the tears of her beloved lady in waiting. She told Lady Rachel to fetch Lady Adrianna and to bring medical supplies back. She took Kenna gently by the hands and led her into the inner chamber. Ella held Kenna tightly and let her cry on the Empress's shoulder.

No matter how hard she tried, Kenna couldn't stop weeping. She stayed there, on Ella's couch, crying into her friend's embrace all night long. When the sun rose the next morning and Lady Adrianna was done treating her bruised cheek Kenna finally stopped her tears.

"Feeling better?" Ella asked kindly. Kenna nodded. "Good, then let us deal with the Queen of France. But first let us dress for the day."

Kenna nodded again, mute, afraid to speak lest she begin to cry again.

Ella sent her to her chambers to get ready to face the day. She had some thinking to do about Queen Mary.

Word count: 850

I know it isn't really long but I've started another story. "Barry Allen's Secret Sister" it's a Flash FanFiction. If you're at all interested please read it! I'd love some reviews for that story and this one too! Please comment and tell me what you think! Also don't forget to vote and add to your reading lists!
Love,
The author