Marriage and a Murderess

I don't own Reign!!!

"Would Queen Mary of France please rise?" Ella called.

Mary stood up, nervously "Yes your majesty?" She asked.

"Have some wine!" Ella cried "Edward! Pour the Queen of France some wine. No wait it will take to long to fetch some more. Take my goblet Queen Mary." She held out her cup to her would be murderess.

Mary trembled. By Ella's expression she knew she had been found out. "No I don't mind waiting your majesty." She said shakily.

"I insist." Ella was acting warm but Mary saw only ice in her eyes.

"Very well." She took the goblet.

"Wait!" Ella cried before Mary could take a sip, "Has the wine been tasted?" She questioned.

"N-no, no your grace." Edward stammered.

"Then taste it, Edward." Ella frowned.

Edward took a anxious sip and then breathed a sigh of relief. Suddenly he collapsed to the floor in incredible pain. He shook and cried, screaming for someone to end his pain. He shook for a full minute before he stilled and breathed his last.

Ella sighed "A pity, he was a good man, except for trying to kill me of course. He should never have attempted an assassination. Especially tonight. The night before my wedding. Now all of you are suspects! No one shall leave the castle until the truth is discovered. In my kingdom such lies and treachery is not permitted and is punishable by death. Someone clearly did not know that."

Mary trembled "Please, Your majesty I'm unhurt. Only the one responsible has been killed. Let's enjoy the wedding."

"Oh the wedding will continue," Ella said sternly "we won't let this monster take away our happiness."

Mary seethed, knowing she was the monster and Ella knew too. "But..."

"Enough!" Ella roared "Everyone back to your chambers now. Guards will come and question all of you tonight. Now go."

Everyone curtsied or bowed and left at a sprint, terrified of the Empress's ire. Except for her ladies and Francis.

Gracefully Ella swept from the room calling "If you have news I'll be in the throne room with Prince Dante."

He ladies slowly began to disperse, tittering about the assassination attempt on their mistress. Francis still sat at the table, then in a rush of fury he leapt up and hurled his goblet full of wine at the wall. The metal clanged loudly as it hit the floor. Francis stared at the now wine-soaked rug and ran out to find his best friend.

As he approached the door to the throne room he heard whispers behind the door. He cracked it slightly and saw Ella weeping. She was held in Prince Dante's arms. He was whispering sweet words to her as she clung to him for dear life.

The door creaked loudly and a sword was drawn from the Prince's sheath and pointed at Francis who raised his hands in surrender. Prince Dante lowered his blade and Francis entered to help his best friend's fiancé comfort her.

The day of the wedding

Ella was dressed in her wedding gown. Her hair was long, down past her waist, and loose. Her lips red as roses and her eyes dark and warm as melted chocolate. She smiled at her reflection in the full length mirror. She knew she was called 'the most beautiful woman of her time' and today she truly felt it.

She left her chambers and met Lord Connor, a excitable redheaded lord of Lividia in Russia, he had known her since she was a child and she loved him like a father. He offers her his arm and the guards opened the doors to the chapel. Prince Dante waited at the alter. Seeing her true love, Ella's face broke into a wide smile.

Francis watched his best friend happily, he sat next to Mary and she was scowling and glaring at the joyful bride. He had warned her to be pleasant at the ceremony but she clearly hadn't listened. Francis pinched her arm in warning and she forced a smile.

Ella walked down the aisle, accompanied by Lord Connor, and reached the altar where she took her prince's hand and faced the priest performing the marriage. The ceremony lasted several hours as Prince Dante also had to be crowned as Ella's consort, but no one minded, except for Mary that is.

At the feast guards approached Mary and took her for questioning. She caused a scene and Ella had to order her to be forcibly restrained, insisting that it was just a questioning and everyone was going through it.

"But none of them have fought like this, and none of them had anything to hide... do you have something you don't want us to know Queen Mary?" Ella asked.

"No!" Mary gulped and was led to the dungeon for questioning.

Word count: 808 words

Sorry it's not super long. But there will be more soon I hope. Please comment, vote, and add to your reading lists!
Love,
The author