Chapter 26: What The Avengers Are Doing

(Reader's POV)

                    Tony grabs people from the mud, in the streets of California

Tony grabs people from the mud, in the streets of California. The mudslide wiped out homes and businesses. Tony sets people on the beach, Bruce treats the mudslide victims wounds. Clint walks around and searches in torn buildings, searching for anyone who may have gotten pushed inside the buildings as the mudslide. Came crashing through. Clint sees something in the mud, something smaller. He walks over and picks it up, wiping the crusty mud off of it. It's a Thor action figure. The straight shooter's heart breaks. Clint shoves the action figure in his pocket before standing up and continuing to search for trapped people.
                  Tony flies to a building that had been torn into two. He pushes one against the other, wondering how this could have happened. Jarvis's voice rings throughout the suit.
"Mr. Stark, Miss Potts is calling you." Jarvis informs.
Tony nods his head. "Put her on, Jarvis."
"Alright, Mr. Stark." Jarvis is out.
"Hello, Hon—"
"Tony?" Tony sits up straighter at the sound of Pepper's voice, she sounds like she's crying.
"Pepper, baby, what's wrong? What's happened? Is Violet alright?" Tony says concerned, laser beaming the building back together.
"Violet—" Tony's heart drops, his mind thinking something has happened to Violet. "Violet call-called Happy and s-screamed at him."
"What?" Too you says in disbelief, Violet would never do that. "Honey, slow down and talk."
"Tony, Violet—" Tony can hear Pepper crying on the other end, growing worried.
"What did Violet do?" Tony says aggressively, feeling protective over Pepper.
"She said—Violet aid I was pretending to be her mother." Tony's listens in disbelief, his daughter would never say such a thing to Pepper. Violet loves Pepper. "And then she said that I'll never be her mother."
That hit Tony hard in the chest. Something doesn't sound right. Violet would never do any of those things. But the again, she did tell Tony about how being his daughter is a disadvantage. Tony's heart aches at the memory. Could it be possible that Violet said those horrible things to Pepper? Or screamed at Happy? Tony suddenly blames himself for Violet's current behavior. She must be lashing out because of him.

                 The Florida sun is hot, beating down on the cities. Steve walks around, handing out water bottles to the people in a shelter. Natasha is out searching on the streets while search and rescue go through the abandoned buildings. There is no electricity in the shelter so it's dreadfully hot, making Steve sweat in his uniform. When Steve and Natasha got to the first city that was hit by the hurricane, there was countless dead bodies. It broke Steve's heart. Especially when he saw a few of them were children.
             As Steve walks around a corner, he hears a little voice. Making him smile.
             "Wow! You're Captain America!" Steve turns to see a little blond haired boy with big brown eyes running towards him. "You are amazing! Those Aliens didn't know what they had coming for them."
               Steve smiles. "No, they didn't son."
            "Is it true you were frozen for 76 years?" The little boy says, obviously fascinated by Steve. "Didn't you get cold?"
             "Well, I was sleep. I don't know if I was cold." Steve smiles, "Where's your mom?"
              The little boy looks down sadly. "My mommy's gone."
              Steve's heart breaks. "Where's your dad?"
              "Don't have one." The little boy replies.
              "Any siblings?" The super solider says
              "No sir."
              Steve thinks for a moment. "What's your name kid?"
             "Cody Barks," The little boy says.
             "Well, Cody," Steve leans down, setting the case of water down. "I need you to be a brave solider for me, can you help me pass out water bottles to these people?"
              "Sure thing, Captain America sir!" The little boy grabs a few water bottles and runs off, handing people water bottles.
               Steve smirks at the little kid. Before Steve went into the ice, he wanted to have a family like the other soldiers. To have a wife and kids, the perfect dream. Now Steve isn't sure about that kind of commitment. He loves Violet, of course, but she and him are worlds apart. She is his home but she won't live forever, he'll out live her, but Steve wants Violet to have a fulfilled life. And he doesn't want to be the one to hold her back from it.