Chapter 3: The ride home

I climb into Emily's car and quickly shut the door. I slowly pulled my seatbelt over my should then down near my waist until I hear a click and I know my seatbelt is in. Emily does the same her movements a lot smoother as if she was in a pool. Emily started up the car and smoothly drove away. I look out the window watching the school disappearing. I hear my phone and reach for it.

"Unknown" is the person who messages me. I swore under my breath then click the message.

"Don't say I never gave you a hint -A" I see an attachment and open it.

My eyes widen as I see a photo of Maya and Emily kissing. How did I not guess that Em is gay?! The way she looks at Maya. She flirts with her.

"So do you want to hang out today Spence?" Emily asks breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Sure." I say knowing I'll hate myself later for not doing my homework. Oh whatever it's Friday.

Emily parks the car outside her house and we both get out and walk into the house. She half runs upstairs and I follower her. She sits on her window chair and I slam myself down next to her. We laugh.

"So, do you want to play truth or dare?" She teases. I laugh awkwardly and then give her a look.

"I know you want to. Truth or dare?" She says then nudges me.

"Truth." I say.

"Do you fancy Toby?" She asks.

I stare at her in shock of the question. I open my mouth about to say no but I have to think. I have mixed feelings for him. One day I hate him and then the next I feel sorry for him.

"I..." I say. Emily raises one of her eyebrows.

"I. I don't know to be honest." I say. I could see a slight smile on her face. She was about to laugh.

"You hesitated." She says. I frown slightly and punch her lightly on the arm.

"Truth or dare?" I say.

"Dare."

"I dare you to... Tell me the truth about Maya."

Emily looks at me stunned.

"That's not a dare Spence." She says finally.

"Yeah I'm sorry. That was stupid. I dare you to get a boogie board and ride it down your stairs." I say with a smirk.

Emily gets up with a smile and grabs her board from her cardboard and then ran out of the room. I follow her quickly and see her lie of the board.

"Are you sure I won't die?" She asks me.

"Postive." I say and then push the board the next thing I see it Emily and he board rushing full speed down the steps. Emily lets out a yell of joy. I laugh. Emily reaches the bottom of the steps and slows down. The front door of her house started to open. Emily's mum walked in and saw Emily laughing on the ground with the boogie board. Her mum looks up at me.

"I think you should go." She says in her strict voice. I nod and quickly walk out of the house. I gaze backwards to see Emily's mum staring at Emily. She looked angry.. I shut the door and started walking down the steps of the house and then along the road when I hear a bang. I fall backwards. Pain striking across my face. I put my hand to my face and feel my wet blood run down my face. I look towards where I think the bang came from. Bits of wood were everywhere. I look at the Cavanaugh house. Their letter box was no longer there. I see the door of the house open but my eyes are starting too close.

"Spencer?" I think I hear someone say.

That piece of wood hit me harder them I thought. I black out.

(Toby's POV)

I open the door of my house to see what has happened this time. I see my letterbox scattered everywhere. I sigh. 'Stupid idiots put a smoke bomb in my mailbox!' I think to myself. I look around a bit more and see a girl on the ground. I swore under my breath. It was Spencer. She had a gash in her head. She made eye contact with me.

"Spencer?" I say.

She falls onto the ground. I swore under my breath again and run up to her. I quickly picked her up and then look around. I take her inside my house and put her in the lounge room. I lie her down on the couch.

"Toby?" I hear a voice say.

"What?" I ask and turn around to see Jenna.

She walks over to me a little too easy for a blind girl to do. She puts her hand on my cheek and I tense up.

"We are alone aren't we?" She asks.

I don't reply.

"Do you have a girl here?" She asks.

I look at Spencer. The wound was getting worse so I move away from Jenna quickly. But she grabs my arm. Her nails digging into my skin. She gets her other arm and puts it around my neck then pulls me towards her. She kisses me. I tense and pull away again.

"Toby." She says her voice sounding angry.

"Piss off Jenna!" I yell. With that she slaps me hard in the face. She then storms off. I put my hand on my face. It hurts but I'll get over it. I turn to Spencer and then quickly get a towel. I call 911 and explain what happened minus the Jenna bit. I hear the ambulance come and the put Spencer on a stretcher then ask me to come with them. I stare in shock but agree to go. On the ride to the hospital, I have my hand next to Spencer's hand. I fell a squeeze and look to see she is holding my hand and her eyes are open.

"Spencer?" I say but she closes her eyes again. I brush my fingers over her pale white face.