Chapter 7

The news that Mason Hayworth was dating Diana Hamilton spread faster through the school than the rumour of Natalie Henson's pregnancy scare

The reactions were mixed, to say the least. Some people were shocked, a select few were in awe, most were horrified. I often heard them talking about it in the hallways.

"Diana Hamilton? Isn't she that fat girl?"

"Why is Mason dating that whale?"

"Wait, we have someone at our school called Diana Hamilton?"

Those were just a few of my personal favourites.

The comments and looks I got didn't hurt me too much. I had Mason and he was worth every mean word that was ever said.

Walking down the hallway, holding his hand, I felt untouchable and so, so lucky. I honestly couldn't believe that someone like him would ever date someone like me. Clearly, the rest of the school couldn't either.

As Mason's girlfriend, I got upgraded to the popular table at lunch, something that I had secretly wanted since the first year of school. Hailee and I sat with them; Mason, his jock friends and the cheerleaders. To me, it was like I had finally reached the Promised Land.

Hailee didn't agree though. She hated sitting there. It was a conversation we had almost every day as soon as we left class. The script occasionally differed, but the general theme remained the same.

"I just don't feel like we are being ourselves," she whined one day as we walked into the cafeteria and towards Mason's table.

"Please Hails, I know you don't like them but please just do this for me. I really like him." It was a huge understatement. It had only been a week, but I had already perfected my new signature with his surname.

"Fine," she said grudgingly as we sat down. I know she came with to support me, a fact I was always grateful for.

Drew, one of Mason's friends, immediately tried to get her attention, as he had every day since we began sitting with them. I always thought that he was quite keen on her, but either she was completely oblivious, or she just wasn't interested. I never brought it up with her, but knowing her as well as I did, I assumed it was the latter.

"Hailee, how are your classes going?"

She looked at him suspiciously, "fine thanks and yours?"

"Great, so today...."

I tuned him out as Mason sat down next to me, making my heart flutter. Whenever he was around me, the rest of the world seemed to fade away.

"Hi babe," he kissed the top of my head in greeting. I couldn't help but notice the girls at the table rolling their eyes. I could only imagine the hurtful things they said about me behind my back, but at the time, I didn't care.