Chapter 8

On Wednesday night, Alexa is working

On Wednesday night, Alexa is working. She's trying to pull as much double time as she can now, so that she can be off this weekend when Hailee comes. I decide to make use of the empty apartment and cook dinner for Mason, to make up for the fact that I will be ditching him as soon as she arrives.

As soon as I finish work, I head to the grocery store to grab everything I need. I'm just picking up different punnets and trying to decide between raspberries or strawberries, when another cart crashes into mine and bumps me on the hip.

Son of a donkey Kong.

"I am so sorry Ma'am. I wasn't looking where I was going and," the voice cuts off and I glance up from rubbing my sore hip to see a familiar looking face. "Diana?"

"Chase?" His hair is tied back today, but there's no mistaking the helpful bartender from the night Mason and I went to Tall-oaks. "What are you doing here?"

"This is where I come to pick up girls." At my blank expression he bursts out laughing. "I'm just kidding Diana, I'm grocery shopping. Bartenders need to eat as well."

I feel like such an ass, what else would he be doing? "Right, sorry!" I throw in both punnets of berries that I was looking at, trying to cover my embarrassment, and pull my cart towards the butcher's section. Chase trails along just behind me.

"I'm actually glad I ran into you," he says. "On the last Friday of every month we do an Open Mic night at Tall-oaks. You should come this weekend."

I think about it for a second. "Actually, I think we will. My best friend Hailee's coming up for a visit, so it will be nice to take her to something different."

"Will, your, uh," he doesn't seem to know what to say, so I wait patiently for him to finish. He picks up a box of frozen hamburger patties, seemingly very interested in the ingredients, before putting it back on the shelf. "That guy be coming?" He finally asks without looking at me.

"Who, Mason?" I lean over the counter and place an order for skinless chicken breasts, watching as the butcher weighs a couple out and wraps them tightly.

"The one that limits your alcohol intake."

"Um, no I don't think so. We're having a girl's weekend."

"Great!" This seems to cheer him up considerably. A wide grin spreads across his face and he tucks a strand of hair behind his ear. "Great!"

I'm guessing he doesn't like Mason very much. I collect my meat from the butcher and place it in my cart, mentally running through my shopping list.

"If you don't mind me asking, is he your boyfriend?"

That question derails my thought process. "Sorry?"

"That guy you were with, is he your boyfriend?"

Why is he asking me that?

"It's complicated," I answer truthfully.