Chapter 21

As promised, Mason picks me up on Friday, straight after he has finished work

As promised, Mason picks me up on Friday, straight after he has finished work. I am ready for him, wearing a lacy, cream, summer dress that I borrowed from Alexa's cupboard. It gives me the confidence I need to face the people that used to tease me back in high school.

During the week, I had managed to get more information out of Mason, by asking him what I should wear. Turns out, we're going to a braai at Drew's house, complete with alcohol, swimming and charred meat. It's been a long time since I've been to one, and under normal circumstances, I would be excited.

Instead, I'm just nervous.

"You look great Di." Mason smiles at me approvingly as I get in his car. He is still wearing a suit and tie, the first two buttons of his collared shirt have been undone, and the tie hangs loosely around his neck.

"Thanks." I place my bag that contains my costume by my feet. "So do you. But I think you may be a bit over dressed for swimming."

He chuckles, leaning over and giving me a kiss on the cheek, before inclining his head. "I have my stuff in the back."

I turn to see a small backpack resting on the backseat. He starts the car and pulls away from the pavement, changing gears before placing a hand on my bare leg. "I am so excited for this Di. I can't wait for everyone to see you."

"Mason," I bite my lip. I'm already nervous enough and I don't want to start a fight with him today, but I don't like the way he keeps saying stuff like that. "Is that the only reason you wanted me to come? It sounds like you just want to show me off like some prized pony."

His eyes leave the road, meeting mine for a moment before flicking back. His hand moves from my leg, gripping the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles turn white. "I want you to come because I enjoy spending time with you. And so what if I want to show you off? Is that such a bad thing?"

"The way you say it, it's as though you have something to prove," I point out.

"Well, maybe I do," he mutters, so softly I'm sure I've misheard.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing." His whole demeanour changes, his face relaxing into a smile. His hand reaches for mine, bringing it to his lips and placing a soft kiss on my knuckles. He keeps our fingers entwined as he rests them on the centre console. "Don't worry about it, Di. Let's just have fun today, okay?"

The whole exchange seems a little bit strange to me. But I don't question it, already tired of arguing with him. Instead I lean my head back into my chair, and look over at him. "Who's going to be there?"

"Drew, obviously, a couple of other guy's from high school, their girlfriends, that kind of thing."

"Sounds good."

But it really doesn't and my earlier nerves return with a vengeance. Deep down I had already known it. The people that are going to be there are the same people that teased me throughout my teenage years.