Chapter 9

On Thursday, after work, I decide to go and visit my parents

On Thursday, after work, I decide to go and visit my parents. It's been a while since I've seen them, which is inexcusable as they only live an hour away. Usually, I make the effort at least once a week, but it's been at least three since the last time I went.

I've always loved the drive down to Spencer's Creek. The road is lined on either side with plush green trees that create a canopy over the tar. The hour that it takes to get there is usually filled with me singing along to the radio in the confines of my car.

But, today the ride is silent. My fingers drum nervously against the steering wheel, and I can't even appreciate the beautiful landscape that I pass through.

My parents used to hate Mason, something they made very clear on many occasions.

I'm already picturing their reactions in my mind; my mum will remind me endlessly about what happened in high school, my dad will probably eye me over the top of his glasses with a stern, pinched look on his face. I have no idea why I am so nervous to tell them, I'm old enough to make my own choices and I don't live under their roof anymore. But, no matter how old I get, I still want to make them proud of me. I think I always will.

Being an only child, I've always been very close with them, except when Mason broke up with me and I withdrew from everyone. I tell my mum everything, I always have, and that's why I feel the need to let them know that, once again, I'm dating the man that they used to hate so much.

Well, that and I don't trust Hailee not to phone and tell them, she's almost as close with them as I am.

I pull into the driveway and look at the house that I grew up in. The garden is beautiful, a riot of colourful flower beds and luscious green grass. The exterior was recently re-painted from a pale yellow to off-white. The porch looks the same as ever, creaky wood and old banisters that wrap around it, holding in the most painful memory of my teenage years.

I've barely climbed out the car when my mum rushes out the front door, almost tripping down the steps in her haste. "Diana! We weren't expecting to see you. What a lovely surprise." She reaches me and throws her arms around my neck, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Hi, mum." I smile into her shoulder, the top of my head only reaching her nose.

She pulls away and holds me at arms-length, the fine wrinkles by her sky blue eyes creasing up as a wide smile splits her face. Her dirty blonde hair, a few shades lighter than mine, is thrown up into a messy bun with a couple of loose strands tickling the side of her face. "Come on in, I'll put the kettle on. Or," she winks at me and lowers her voice, "break out a bottle of wine?"

I can't help the chuckle that bubbles past my lips. "Coffee's good, mum. I have to drive back."

"Ah fine then," her shoulders sag. "I'll just have to find another excuse to drink it. It's been in my fridge for months. Let's go find your father."