Chapter 11

For a long time, I didn't find it strange at all that I had never met Mason's parents

For a long time, I didn't find it strange at all that I had never met Mason's parents. They were one of those power couples. His mom was a doctor, his dad was a lawyer; his family was, in a word, loaded.

After about five months of us dating though, I started to realise that he only brought me to his house when his parents weren't there. And that when he was with me and one of them called, he would say he was out with friends.

Looking back, I should have questioned it. It was clear he was embarrassed by our relationship. But at the time, I was just so pathetically grateful that he would even be dating me in the first place that I decided not to press the matter.

It all came to a head on his eighteenth birthday.

His parents had gone all out and it was supposed to be the party of the year, held at their double story house. Everyone from our school was going; a mass invitation had been passed around in the weeks leading up to it. Hailee came over to get ready with me and the two of us were excited for what the night had to offer.

For me it was the fact that I was dating the most popular guy in school and would be by his side all night. For her it was the under-age drinking she was planning on doing.

We arrived at the party when it was already in full swing. All the furniture in the lounge had been pushed against the walls, clearing a make-shift dance floor and music was blasting through the speakers, so loud that we could feel the vibrations through our feet.

Hailee was immediately escorted off by Drew to get drinks, throwing me a look that screamed for help. I just smiled and waved at her, which earned me the finger and a mouthed curse word.

There were hundreds of bodies moving to the beat, taking shots and pouring drinks at the table set up with all sorts of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages placed on it. As an eighteen-year-old, Mason was finally allowed to drink legally-not that he hadn't been before, but I'm sure his parents didn't know that.

I went looking for Mason, finally finding him talking to two older people I assumed were his parents. For the first time in my life, I decided to take matters into my own hands and marched right up to them.

He saw me coming and his face filled with panic. I didn't miss the subtle shake of his head as he watched me get closer, but I ignored it, determined to finally meet them. He returned my greeting hug half-heartedly and released me quickly before turning to them. "Mom, dad this is Diana. My... friend."

The word 'friend' felt like the biggest slap in the face. It hurt more than I could have imagined. Especially because, for the past few months I had been floating on air; dating him had felt like I was living in a dream.

Well the dream had just come crashing down around me.

After a curt nod from his mother and a gruff 'hello' from his father, I excused myself with a small smile and went to find something to drink, anything with alcohol in it really. The asshole didn't even bother to follow me.

Someone Like MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara