02 | Chapter Two

B O N N I E

"Excuse me?" I blurt out, shoving him back with enough force that he stumbles slightly. He loosens his grip on me and scoffs, but he doesn't let me go. The conniving smirk never leaving his stupid face. I glare up at him and frown, the confusion and anger no doubt evident on my face.

"Oh, come on, you don't recognize me?" his hands slowly move down to my hips before he lets me go. I stare at him, no words coming out. I'm completely speechless, and not because it was the best kiss of my entire freaking life, but because I kissed him.

"Josh?" I gasp, my hands flying up to cover my mouth. Lightly, I trace my fingers across my lips, knowing they had just been pressed against his. My tongue moves on instinct, slowly moving across my lips, and I can still taste him. I didn't hate it. I always fantasized about what it would be like to kiss him, but I never imagined it would happen like this.

I just kissed Josh freaking Carter. Holy shit, why did I do that!?

He chuckles, breaking my internal debate. The sound caused my breath to hitch a little. I could never forget that laugh. The tone of it is no different than when we were kids, maybe slightly deeper, but still very distinct. He pulls an unlit cigarette from an open packet in his front jean pocket and places it between his lips. I focus on it and frown. That explains the slightly smokey taste to his kiss.

I stare at his mouth, completely enamored with the curve of his lips. He breaks the silence and my stare by giving me a huge, toothy smile. I look up at him and want to crawl into a hole and die. He knew I was staring at his mouth. Great.

"Now that I have your attention, BonBon," he drawls, pulling the cigarette from between his lips before even lighting it. "I always wondered what you'd sound like screaming my name," he leans in closer so that our cheeks brush, "but now, I have a better idea." I pull back in shock and fight the urge to slap him. The audacity for him to even think that, let alone say it out loud for everyone to hear.

He is surrounded by a sea of college guys, all their attention solely on our interaction. Obviously, they don't know who I am, they probably think I'm some boy crazy sorority chick just looking for a good time. I glare up at him. This isn't the way I imagined us seeing each other again for the first time. Far from it. I never thought I'd see him again.

I don't give him enough time to come out with any more rude remarks before I turn and storm off back towards where Liv stands. I hear him laughing as I walk away. It's so hard fighting the urge to turn back and glare at him.

I focus on Olivia. Her face is blank and paler than usual. She looks like a deer caught in headlights, the expression so unreadable. Maybe even a bit scared? I don't know. But I know that she obviously saw everything that had just happened.

"Holy shit, Bon, what was that?!" she gasps, her eyes still glued on Josh and his friends. The same friends who are now laughing and high-fiving him, like me kissing him, were their idea. Bunch of frat idiots. If this is the way all guys in college act, I might have to reconsider my entire future. I don't think I could handle being around those idiots every day.

"That was Josh," I state before I turn back, looking to where he stands. That annoying smirk was still in place on his undeniably beautiful face. A beautiful face that I want to pummel with my fists right now. I would love to see even a slight imperfection on him. It would do him some good. Bring that ego back down to earth.

"Wait a minute," Olivia snaps out of her stare and looks over me, her eyes wide. "That's Josh, as in Josh from next door?" she questions, needing clarification before she overreacts. I glance over at her and simply nod. This is enough of a confirmation for her to let out a squeal so loud I have to cover my ears. Thank god for the loud music drowning out her sound from anyone else who isn't standing right beside her.