15 | Chapter Fifteen

B O N N I E

Locking the front door behind me, I turn around, smacking right into Olivia, almost launching her to the ground.

"Olivia! What is up with you this morning?" I gasp, holding onto her arms to keep her balanced. She says nothing; she's too busy staring off into the distance, a blank expression stuck on her usually animated face.

I glance up to see what she is looking at. To my surprise, my eyes find Scott... Shirtless and disheveled?

Words left me. I stare into those big brown eyes of his, full of shock, and my heart stills. He watches me, waiting for my reaction, but I don't have one besides silence.

Olivia likes Scott.

"Holy shit!" I gasp. Olivia spins around so fast I almost have to catch her again, an irritated look plastered on her face.

How did I not see this before now?

It was all so clear to me now. All the longing stares, the smiles, the inside jokes; I must have been so oblivious to their flirty personalities, I thought nothing of it.

"Shut up!" she mutters angrily, her hand flying up to cover my mouth before I burst out laughing. Olivia's attention was already back on Scott, who is now climbing into his car, ignoring us completely.

I wouldn't be surprised if she intentionally threw her drink all over him to get his shirt off. That smart girl.

"We will discuss this later," I scold as I march past her, trying my best not to snicker and make it clear I know precisely what is going on here, the look on her face tells me she understands what I mean by that.

Sliding into the backseat, smirking at Scott, who is watching me in the rearview mirror, he is puzzled by my sudden mood change. He's now wearing a shirt which doesn't surprise me. Scott always has spare clothes in his car. I've never understood why, but I guess it came in handy today.

 "You alright back there?" he questions, his brows furrowed in confusion. Did he know as well? Was he in on this whole 'crush' situation? Maybe I was the only one looking in from the outside.

"Yeah, I'm good. And how are you, Olivia?" I say, glancing over as Olivia crawls into the front passenger seat.

"Shut up, Bonnie! We are going to be late!" she snaps. There's the reaction I was expecting, angry embarrassment. I chuckle and shake my head. My best friend is adorable when she's embarrassed.

As we pull out of the driveway, I look between Scott and Olivia waiting for their normal behavior to begin, but to my surprise, there are no subtle glances at each other, no teasing, nothing. How boring, for me at least.

Maybe Scott liked the shirt she spilled her juice on? But I highly doubt that's what's going on here.

The drive to school was dead quiet and uncomfortable. There was no usual flirty banter going on between Scott and Olivia; I usually would be thankful for this, but not this morning.

Ignoring my stubborn best friends, I zone out, leaning my head back into the headrest and stare up at the roof, my mind only wanting to focus on one thing, the letters.

 I can't wait for today to be over so I can rush home and sort this out. Mom has some serious explaining to do when she gets home from work tonight.

One thing I don't understand, if she got these letters, why would she hide them from me?

She knows how much Josh meant to me. Why would she want to keep that from me? It makes no sense; there has to be something else going on. Either Josh or Mom aren't telling me everything.