22 | Chapter Twenty Two

B O N N I E

"Bonnie, do you know something I don't?" Josh questions. The anguish in his eyes hit me right in the chest. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep the secret forever, but not even an entire day? That's a new record, even for me.

"I was just kidding," I try to play it off as a joke, but I have no idea where to go with this. "You know...because we think they're dating and all that." I go quiet, and he frowns at me, clearly confused.

"Bon, you know I can tell when you're lying," he crosses his arms, his frown becoming deeper with my refusal to answer him. "Tell me the truth, what do you know?" I sigh and bury my hands in my pillow. I don't want to tell him this. Why should I be the one who breaks his heart?

"Don't make me do this," I beg, my voice muffled by the pillow. I feel the bed shift before his body lays beside me, his arm wrapped around me, drawing me closer to him. "BonBon, it's okay," he whispers, trying to pull the pillow away from my face. "Bonnie, please, whatever it is, you can tell me."

I shake my head but peer up at him, he is watching me, concern etched on his handsome face."I really think you need to talk to your dad about this, it's not my place to say." His frown grows more profound, and I fight back the tears that beg to fall. "They're dating, aren't they?" he questions, but I wish it were that simple, I really do.

"Worse," is all I manage to say before Josh stands and starts pacing my bedroom. "Worse?! Thats all you can say?" he jeers, annoyed with me, and I can't blame him. If there's one thing, I hate it's people who speak around subjects instead of just getting straight to the point. Right now, I am that person, and I hate it.

I don't say anything else, I just watch him pacing before he opens my bedroom window to climb out. "I'll message you later," and he's gone.

***

     All night I couldn't sleep. I kept waiting for a message from Josh, but nothing came. I know he was home because the light in his bedroom was on an entire night, just like mine. Now it's morning and I want to run over to his house and hug him. I know he is hurting; I know he is mad and I know it's my fault.

     I find my phone and pull up Josh's number, hitting call I wait. As expected, he doesn't answer, but I'm not going to let him just ignore me like this. We are both involved in this, whether he likes it or not. Besides, I just want to make sure he is okay, I know how much he adored his parent's relationship. The thought of them not being so perfect will destroy him and all his images of genuine love.

     "Screw this," I grumble under my breath, throwing on whatever clothes I find first. I go downstairs. Mom is nowhere to be found, she could only be two places, hiding from me or working; either way, I'm glad I don't have to deal with her right now. I don't think I could handle her and the pitying look in her eyes this morning.

     I step up to Josh's front door and wait before I knock. Was this a good idea? Confronting him like this when I know he is hurting more than I am right now. But, before I can make a decision, his door swings open, and Mitch is standing there. "Oh, hey, Bon," he smiles down at me, but I can sense the tension behind it. He knows that I know everything.

     "Hey, Mr... I mean, Mitch," I giggle nervously and struggle to meet his stare. "Is Josh home?" I blurt out, desperate to escape from this uncomfortable encounter. "No, he left late last night," my smile drops, and I fidget in my pocket for my phone. "Oh," is all I say before I turn to walk away, "thanks anyway." I flee before he can respond. I don't want him to talk to me about the fact that he was almost my dad. That is a conversation I hope I never have.