Chapter 2: inside the vault | Eva

I was standing in a daisy meadow in the early morning, when the edges of the sun were just beginning to creep over the horizon. There was a light wind blowing, causing my dreadlocks to sway gently from side to side. I was only wearing a simple white dress, but I didn't feel the cold. I never felt uncomfortable in one of my dreams.

My dreams had always been vivid to the point where I would be confused over whether they were real or not, but I knew this was not, for my sister was standing in front of me, her silhouette blocking the first of the sun's rays from my sight, the multicoloured beads in her hair seeming to glow as the sky lightened.

At first, seeing my sister in my dreams had pained me beyond anything else, but now, I had become accustomed to it. It was only a figment of my imagination, and nothing else. It didn't stop the dull ache I felt in my chest whenever I looked at her, though. Olivia had always been taller than me, but our faces, our hair - it was all the same. It was like looking in a mirror.

"Hey," I greeted her, mustering a smile. For the first time, the dream version of my sister didn't smile back, which increased my worry. "What's wrong?"

Olivia looked agitated, which puzzled me. As my sister began to pace, her dreadlocks jiggling, clouds began to gather, blocking the sunrise. I took a step back, my breath caught in fear. What was going on? My dreams had never done this before.

Olivia reached forward, taking my hands tightly in her own as - to my complete astonishment - snowflakes began to fall from the sky. It didn't fall slowly, like it usually would. The snow fell in abnormal torrents, and in seconds, the meadow was coated in white.

"Eva, you have to wake up," Olivia said urgently, pulling at my hands, trying to tug me forward. The wind picked up, as if sensing her agitation. "You have to - " She broke off as she stumbled, nearly losing her footing, as the wind whistled harshly past our ears.

I winced as the snow bit into my skin, but I gripped Olivia's hands harder, refusing to break away. "What do I have to do?" I shouted, to try and be heard over the wind.

Olivia's mouth moved, but I only heard two words: "Help me!" She let out a shout of alarm as her hands were roughly ripped away from mine, due to the strength of the wind. I desperately leaped forward, trying to grab her, but she was gone.

I shouted her name, straining my eyes against the rapidly falling snowflakes, but she was nowhere to be found. Before I could take another step, I registered someone shaking me awake.

The snowstorm faded, and the scenery transformed into one where the wind was not present, and the sky was blue and free of clouds. Unlike my dream, the sun was high in the sky, indicating that it was only around midday. There was a person in front of me, gripping me tightly, but it wasn't Olivia.

I blinked as I tilted my head upwards, meeting Kelvin's navy blue eyed gaze. "What is it?"

"You were screaming your sister's name," he released me and stepped back, studying me. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

My eyes widened, remembering the strange dream I'd had. I could have sworn that Olivia was pleading for my help, but why?

She's dead, I scolded myself internally. Your dream is only giving you false hope. It's fake.

Was it, though? I shook my head, frustrated. Before Olivia had died, she and I had the power to communicate with each other telepathically, along with other abilities. For example, we could learn things twice as fast between us. I was somewhat skilled in archery, but it hadn't been me who had been taught the basics. It had been Olivia, and I'd obtained that skill, due to our bond. Our magic was centered around the mind and body. Why couldn't I understand my own dream?