Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Aonghus was extremely worried over the state of Sheena’s mind. His brows furrowed, and his hand immediately speared into her hair, trying to find any cause for such a random comment. When she started batting at his arm, trying to bring his attention back to her fully, he did so, just so she did not cause herself any more issues than it seemed she already had suffered. “Aonghus, stop.”

His hands dropped completely. His eyes wide, he felt as if his jaw had dropped to his feet. He knew he must look a fool, but could not help it, nor could he stop the radiant emotion that was bubbling inside his chest. He knew if she reached out and nudged him at that moment, he would fall backwards on his arse, and what a fool he would certainly look then. In his moment of utter shock, she pulled herself upon her elbows. Her expression clouded with concern at his lack of movement. Somehow the concern had been completed turned around. “Aonghus?” Her voice was whisper soft as if afraid to spook him.

And like the idiot he was, all he could stammer out was, “You know who I am.” He wanted to bang his head against something extremely hard, maybe knock himself out and not have to remember what he had just said. “Of course I do. You helped me after I found…” her voice trailed off as her eyes moved over his shoulder in a faraway expression, and she had to take a few deep breaths before she could face him once more. He shook his head, knowing it was uncaring not to focus on her brother’s demise, but his mind had sparked out and he could only concentrate on one thing. “No. You know I am Aonghus.” His mind was one track, unable to come away from the knowledge that she knew him from his brother. More than that, knew him, remembered him, over his brother.

Her confusion cleared, and a small smile over took her, even for how tiny it was, it lit her face. Making her shine from within. Brighter than the fire behind him, she was the light that had been missing within his soul over the long and dark winter he had been apart from her. “Aye, of course I know you are Aonghus. You do not have the scar.” Her hand came up, cupping the side of his face as she let her thumb smooth over his intact eyebrow, which in his mirror image was split. Artair had had the scar since childhood, and was usually the only way people could tell them apart, of course his intelligent Sheena had picked up on that difference. What else had he expected?

Sheena seemed to have realised the way she was acting, and her fair skin heated in a pale blush, which enchanted him all the more. Pulling her soft palm from his face, making him want to protest as she did so, and placed both of her small hands in her lap, wringing them together as if to stop from repeating the action. Clearing her throat as she looked down at her twisting hands. “But you were the one there when I did not know what to do after the haze faded and I found myself looking down upon Grant’s writhing body. So confused over what I had done, before piecing it together. You did not allow me to lose who I was in that moment, you reminded me of how strong I was, and that I had to keep going, to life on and make sure Naois’ death was not ever in vain.” Aonghus was silently stunned over her words. Before he could form any coherent answer, she had cut him off without realising it.