Chapter 49

Chapter 49

The thin male before twisted his face into the semblance of a smile. An evil chuckle making its way up and out of him, but the sound swirled, and if she could not see him before her, she would have no idea from which direction the sound was coming from. His tongue darting out to wet his pale lips in a darting lizard like fashion. His eyes dark beads of blackness in the sheer white of his face. His deep voice sending shivers of pure fear down her spine. A whisper interwoven with the tone he used contrasting constantly with the voice one heard when he spoke. “Sheena, it has been a long time since I saw you last.” She tried to keep upright, but the onslaught of the power within his voice was staggering, and she was hard pressed to stand against it at all.

“And yet far too short a time for me.” Her voice was a whimper. She could not make it as strong as she wished, but it was as strong as she felt. Feardorcha took a step forward, and as much as she wanted to she could not stop the immediate step backwards in reaction. His cold chuckle curling around her once more. “Oh, pretty Sheena, I have been searching through the ages for you.” The gleam in his beady black eyes predatory.

Her chin lifted. If only a few millimetres. But it made her feel a little better with her predicament at least. She was not completely out. “The last I had heard, you had convinced everyone to let their children find their way in another time as slaughter was upon them. Instead, they survive without the children they had sent away, and those children have had to carve their own future. Alone, without those who had sacrificed everything for them out of love. Yet here you are, standing before me not looking a day over what I remember.” Her eyes narrowed. “So tell me, what did you get out of all of this?”

His smile cracked his face in a slash. “Now, now, that would be rushing would it not? Years it has been for this to happen, and it is finally here, I wish to savour this moment to the end.” His tongue darted out once more. Slithering over his bottom lip before pulling back in quickly. “But you Sheena, you have grown into the woman I always knew you could be. You definitely have your mother within you.” His eyes travelled over her in a way that had her wanting to add layers to what she already wore in an effort to try and cover herself enough to never be seen by this male as he obviously wanted to see her. Tongue darting once more, and causing a rough shiver to slide down her spine. “It was such a shame that I had to leave your mother behind…but she did so want to save your sister.”

A spike of anger surged through her at the mention of the twin she had not lived with since she had barely learnt to walk. Sheena’s powers had come later, so much later than her sisters. So her younger sister had been taken to help in her training. She had tried to watch out for her, they snuck away time and again, but she had not been able to see her in the months leading up to the step through time. She knew that her sister had been needed to use her powers to help save the people who remained. Of all the children, she would be the only one to stay. Sheena had grieved for the other half of herself from the moment she stepped through time. The anger that surged through her was justified within her. This male had seen to their separation, and he had no right in speaking of her long dead sister. The only one who had the right to speak of her was Sheena, and this male most definitely deserved nothing from her.