Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Aonghus was breathing heavily, rushing through the underbrush. Having ditched his horse some time back, he knew that it had been the right choice. Sending his horse in the opposite direction to the way he had run, he did not know what would happen next, only he had very little now, but had made sure Sheena had gotten to safety before putting the hashed plan in motion. Hoping to have distracted them enough to put enough distance between himself and the two males who pursued them. Taking the harder path was taking him longer, but it also meant if they wanted to follow they would have to dismount and travel on foot as he was.

He had no idea how long he had been moving, only knowing that the green hues around him had darkened dramatically, and the temperature had dropped, his skin goose pimpled where it was exposed to the chill wind. But he dare not stop moving, he needed to make sure he had taken the pursuers as far from Sheena’s path as possible, before he had to finally confront them. He had only seen their figures from a distance as they had raced in the direction his stallion had stormed off in.

Mumbling curses as he snapped branches out of his way, as the tendrils reached towards him, scratching at him, wanting to take him down in their clutches. He thrust all thoughts out of his mind. He needed to concentrate and find somewhere to hole up, take the ambushers by surprise. It was all he could do, and while he was confident in his own abilities, the others were a complete unknown quantity. If he had to go down, then it would be with his sword in hand and the knowledge he had done all he could to help Sheena.

Pulling himself up a small rise, he decided it was time to take to the tree tops, he had gone as far as he could on foot, and all he could do now was wait and see. Using his upper body strength, he managed to pull himself up on the lowest branch of a study looking tree. After first taking a running jump in order to reach it. Making his way gingerly up a few more limbs before he was happy with his position, and sat with his legs either side of the thick appendage, his feet dangling and his back against the rough bark. As the last rays of the sun finally disappeared, he lay his head back and closed his eyes. Pulling his plaid around his shoulders, he dozed, allowing himself to only sleep the light sleep of his warrior training. Needing to awaken at any sound that may come which led to the coming of an enemy he did not know.

As his breathing evened out, and sleep overcame him, Sheena could not allow the same to overcome her at that moment. She was concerned in one part of her mind over the depth of the darkness which surrounded her, yet, she needed to find something which could give her a clue, anything, over where Aonghus and their pursuers had gone. So far she had managed to track her own route back to the moment Aonghus split from her, and his were rather more obvious than hers, which meant their pursuers had gone in his direction also. She had followed the track more cautiously, not wanting to alert any ahead of her that she was now behind them.

The further she had travelled, the more the despair over what could have happened overcame her. The guilt over Aonghus’ actions, as whoever was out here was undoubtedly after her. What could he have ever done to cause such a reaction? No, this was on her. Her being upon the outside of the clan was not enough for them. It was never enough just to be banished, and she should have realised this, she had foolishly thought Robert and his ‘advisors’ would leave it at such. Shaking her head at her predicament, she could do nothing about such a thing now. Instead she looked out over the deep shadows of the forest at night, and wondered just which way she needed to go. Exasperated at the fork she had found in the tracks before her, as she had dismounted and now led her mare, while she limped ahead, teeth gritted against the pain. She would just have to remount as soon as was possible.