Chapter 53

AN - Hi everyone, one year and two days ago, I plucked up the courage to upload the prologue of Highland dream to wattpad. I never, ever would have thought i would be here a year later writing the third in the serious, and having finshed the first book in another series and have another two on the go. Having sent out to some agents, and looking into publishng. never would i have thought i would be here and so all i can say is thankyou to all you wonderful readers, both silent and for those who leave such wonderful comments, you have no idea what it has meant especially after the year i have had!

I hope you enjoy this chapter, as all i can do is dedicate it to you all. Every single one of you both old and new readers to the series. Thank you! Az x (I will let you read the chapter now!!)

Chapter 53

They travelled as quickly as was possible, with Sheena rocking back and forth in the shambled together stretcher they managed to create for her. Nessia led the horses, while Artair and he each took hold of an end and sprinted in quick spurts. Yet no matter how far they pushed themselves, they could not outrun what began raging through Sheena.

It started slowly, barely noticeable. Her face gained a sheen to it, and her body slowly racked with shivers, but it was the tiniest of movements as they raced through the dense forest back to safety once more. Instead it was only when she had reached temperatures where she must be on fire within. That they noticed the sweat pouring from her and her laboured breathing cut through the air even over the noise they made as they raced onward.

They began to slow upon hearing her distress, and Nessia ordered them to a clearing which could be spied nearby, it was a frantic rush to get her there and upon the ground so Nessia could check the wound once more. Her forehead furrowed, and Aonghus refused to believe it, this was not happening. She was fighting, she had to fight now. He was useless once more, as Nessia tried to deal with the angry red, and seeping wound, Artair had disappeared on him. Not that he had the presence of mind to wonder where his brother had disappeared to.

He could only stand aside and watch as Nessia took control of the situation. His eyes watching unblinkingly as Nessia moved with such efficiency. She knew what to do…she had to know what to do…she could not let Sheena die. He would not know what to do if she died. He would not live if she died. He could not survive another hour without her. It was that thought which snapped him back to the present. His voice hoarse and cracked as he managed to force words past his parched throat.

“What can I do?” Nessia shot a quick glance at him, her eyes fleetingly taking in his expression before nodding and turning back to Sheena. “Come and hold this here, while I gather some things.” Moving quickly, he held the ragged piece of cloth over Sheena’s wound, as Nessia rummaged loudly and quickly through the bag she carried holding her healing potions. Without looking up at him, and without him looking up from Sheena, Nessia addressed him. “It is good to have you back with us Aonghus. Now…I am going to make you work.”