Chapter 44

Chapter 44

                Sheena hurried back into the room as he found himself opening the door upon a rather harried looking version of himself. It was quite peculiar to be part of a pair who looked identical. Others found it so, but actually being part of that pair meant moments such as this made Aonghus want to reach up and make sure his hair was not quite standing in the way Artair’s was at that moment. “Artair, what in the devil has you on your toes like this?”

                The look he shared was one that could only be a show of love amongst brothers, all others would think that he was indeed wishing Aonghus dead at that moment. “Cam has had word from the male put on to guard the banished we have…as guests, shall I say?” This time they shared a wry smile, knowing exactly what those guests would be going through over the next few days. “Douglas has been quite vocal.”

                “Vocal about what?” If he was threatening Sheena in anyway then he would make sure the male never had the chance to say another word again, one way or another. Artair flickered his eyes in Sheena and Scottie’s direction and it was confirmed exactly who he had been talking about. He practically growled his reply. “What is he saying now?”

                They shared a look which told most of what he already knew, but he wanted to hear Artair confirm this verbally to him. “Tell me.” Artair’s eyes slid to Sheena and Scottie once more, Scottie looking lost in his own wee world once more, but he knew all of the conversation was being stored somewhere in that wondrous mind of his. With a glance at Sheena, she nodded, and immediately took control of Scottie, however she sent him a look which said she expected all of the information he received as soon as possible. “Come along Scottie, shall we go and see what Isla has for you, and if she will give me anything just as special to break my fast with?” Her voice was bright, but Scottie silently took her hand and followed her through the door, his small voice floating back to them as they walked toward the path to the Keep. “You can have my meal, or we can share.” Aonghus could not stop the soft smile that spread across his face, any and all bad thoughts not allowed into his mind at that moment.

                “She is good for you brother, in fact I cannot believe these words leave me, but I think you have found the one.” Artair rolled his eyes, “You know the ‘one’ which Hamish and Cam cannot stop talking about.” Aonghus just turned to face his brother, not saying a word, but he had heard the jealous tone he had used, knew his brother hurt on a deep level at the face Aonghus had found something, and for the first time they were not equal in something. “And a readymade bairn for you both to spoil.” Aonghus let the smile come, knowing it would be useless to stop it. “Aye. That you can be sure of.”

                Artair looked back over his shoulder, taking a moment to watch as Sheena knelt next to Scottie who was stood transfixed by a solitary blooming flower, reaching out to softly touch its petals. “That lad is going to do something great one day.” Aonghus nodded, but Artair missed it, “Aye, he is. But I have a feeling he is not going to have a good time until then, we know more than any what it is like to be different in a clan. And we had each other to get us through it.” Artair nodded this time, while turning to face him once more. “Oh aye, but Aonghus, he has you and Sheena.” Aonghus frowned, “And his uncle Artair.”