Chapter 46

Chapter 46

                By the time they hit the path back to Aonghus’ cottage, Sheena was in two minds as to whether to laugh at the state of Aonghus, or be angry that he had obviously been up to no good. Which made her pause, as did she have the right to be angry for such a reason? Would he want her to be? Or even expect her to be? Shaking her head she glanced at Scottie to find his face relaxed in sleep, and turned towards her, his mouth at a funny angle with the way his face was pressed into Aonghus’ shoulder.

                Her heart squeezed at the sight. He had had a rough few days, so it was a good thing he was catching up on his sleep. But the vision both he and Aonghus created gave her a safe and full feeling inside, as if this is what she had been waiting for a very long time to feel this. It was a new emotion entirely. And it was never an emotion that she thought she wanted, but now craved every moment she did not have it.

                The stones beneath her feet, clattering and crunching as she walked, she was picking her way over a particularly rough part of the path, when a gasp pulled her to a stop, and her gaze immediately went to Aonghus and Scottie. Her heart pounding as she looked them over, before a sigh of relief left her in a rush. Aonghus, however, had turned slightly to looking over his shoulder. A small smile gracing his face, but she also saw a glint in his eye which made her purse her lips. He thinks he has gotten out of trouble somehow.

                In the next moment she saw why.

                A grandmotherly looking woman was coming towards them at a hurried pace, obviously having changed her direction rather suddenly to intercept them. Sheena’s gaze was fixed on the woman, she seemed so familiar, and yet a complete stranger. Her breath caught, and only the movement of Aonghus moving Scottie into a more comfortable position against his shoulder to intercept what was trying to break its way through a barrier in her mind.

                “Gilbarta, it is good to see you looking so spry. That great grandson of yours keeping you young.” Aonghus was nothing but charm, though she could see the knowledge of what this was doing to her in his eyes. As they flickered between her and Gilbarta. The elderly woman taking a moment to smile softly at Scottie in Aonghus’ arms and answer the charm he naturally placed into his tone. “Oh Aye, that laddie is a breath of fresh air. That he is. Can’t get enough time with him, but his proud father can hardly put him down for anyone. So I steal him whenever I can, and do not give him back until his father tries to declare war upon me.” Gilbarta gave a toothy smile, even with a few of those teeth now missing, showing the utter pleasure she had in her great grandson, and in teasing his father, whoever that may be. Sheena had not a clue who the father was, but with the males she had seen in this clan, she had to be a strong woman to stand up to him.

                Turning her startlingly clear eyes upon Sheena, the woman still addressed Aonghus. “Lad, do you mind taking that bairn and letting him sleep on something more comfortable than your shoulder. I’ll make sure your lass gets home in one piece.” Both women flicked their eyes to Aonghus at the same time, and he seemed to realise they needed this. With a nod at Gilbarta, and a swift, but passionate kiss to Sheena, he turned and wandered off down the path once more. Seemingly blasé, but she could see the tension in his shoulders at the fact he had left her behind. He would never undermine her choice, but he did not have to be happy about it. As such she felt her heart swell at the feeling of being cared for. It was such a strange and wonderful feeling to have.