Chapter 16: The Red Scarf

One Week Later

Aiden

The events written below occur subsequent to Lesedi storming out of Aiden's loft after her conversation with Logan. It is a continuation of Chapter 14 – The Flame, Paragraph I. (Lesedi's POV reference: Chapter 13 – His Routine)

She was sleeping – her body fragile, facing the door in a fetal position.

She was still wearing my T-shirt; her hair masking her face.

I walked in quietly and sat next to her, shifting the strands of hair behind her ear.

Tears stained her eyes – threatening to stream out if she awoke.

Her cheeks, pale as a ghost's and her nose as red as a cherry, she lay there, completely still – as if the weight that burdened her mind left her in a state of unconsciousness.

Removing my shoes, I got into bed next to her, cradling her in my arms.

~~

After Lessie had driven off in the morning, I quickly checked my pockets only to figure that my phone and car keys were still upstairs.

Upon entering the loft, I quickly grabbed my phone and dialed her number; Sigrid's High Five began playing from a distance.

"Ooh, they keep saying you're the best... You ask and they say yeah... Ooh, when you add up what is left... That high five is all you got...Oh everybody loves a show... Lights on, they all go home... You won't let anybody close... That high five is all you got..."

She had left her phone – and her bag – and her clothes.

I found her phone ringing deep inside her handbag; it was locked, so there was no way of calling Noah or Mason.

'Damn it. Why don't I have any of their numbers?', I thought in annoyance.

I looked for my car keys for about fifteen minutes until I remembered that I had given them to Logan yesterday.

Rushing out, I entered the key code to Logan's loft and hurdled inside.

Logan was watching the food channel while eating a bowl of cereal.

"Dude, where are my car keys?", I asked in panic.

"Umm...on the kitchen counter...? What's wrong?", he asked curiously.

"Noth – ", I paused.

Lessie had been fine in the morning; well, at least she was until Logan came home. I looked up at Logan, shifting all my attention towards him.

"What did you tell her?", I asked suspiciously.

"Tell who? Lessie?", he asked confused.

I nodded.

"Err...", he thought out aloud.

"Well, nothing significant I guess. – oh, I might have told her a bit about how your normal dating routine went. But that was just because I accidently told her about the bet – ", Logan replied.

Realizing he had said too much, he hastily looked at his cereal while shoving a large spoon of it into his mouth.

"What bet? – What the hell did you tell her, Logan?", Aiden roared.