"701 - 555 - 107"

By the time Dr. Holland called for them, Camila was as calm and collected as Lauren had ever seen her.

Smiling kindly, she directed them towards the examination room and asked Camila to change into a hospital gown behind a privacy partition.

"Would you like Lauren to stay here with you for the examination, dear?" She asked.

"Yes, please, Madam." Camila answered from behind the partition. The doctor smiled at Lauren and picked up a clipboard from her desk. Camila emerged a minute later, clad in a blue hospital gown that was huge on her, like everything else. The doctor instructed her to sit down on the examination table and pulled up a chair for Lauren to sit down next to the table before grabbing a seat for herself.

"Well, Camila, I can already see you're looking a lot better than you did two days ago. I'm glad. You're being an excellent nurse, Lauren." She winked at her good naturedly.

"Now I'm sure you want to hear the test results." At Camila's frantic nod she quickly continued. "Your blood work came back positive for syphilis I'm afraid, but you're in the first stage of the disease, which means that a dose of Bicillin will clear that up. What's gonna happen now is, I'm going to examine you first. Then I'll inject two shots of the medicine into your butt; it'll hurt a bit, but not for long. There will be follow up blood tests. The first one will be scheduled in three months and then every three months after that, those are necessary to make sure the syphilis has completely cleared up. If you have sexual contact during this period of time, make sure to keep it safe: use protections." Lauren felt herself blush slightly at the topic, but kept her face straight, hoping the change in color would go unnoticed.

"At the end, I'm going to take an X-ray of your chest and upper arm, so we can see if your previous breaks have healed properly. Does that sound like an okay plan?" She asked. Camila nodded in agreement, clearly baffled at her question, but smiling.

"Great, thank you. Now while I'm already sitting here, I'm going to start with your knees, okay?" Camila lifted the hospital gown to her thighs without being asked, earning herself a smile of approval from the doctor.

Gently she prodded along the edges of the swelling, observing Camila's reaction to various touches. "Is it more or less painful to you than it was two days ago, Camila?"

"Less painful, Madam, at the market I had to be on my knees most of the time for a few weeks, but I've only been on my knees once since Friday." She explained.

"That's good. The fluid build-up seems to have gone down as well. If you stay off your knees it may just go back to normal all by itself, but if it doesn't we'll have to figure out what to do. I want an update on this in two weeks from either of you." She insisted and Lauren nodded, making a mental note to check Camila's knees again soon.

"Okay, let's move on. Your face is healing very nicely, that's great. Please drop the top half of the gown." Camila untied the string that kept the gown tied around her neck and obediently exposed her upper body, shivering a little.

"I'm sorry, I know this isn't pleasant, dear." Dr. Holland said sympathetically. "I'll try and be quick." She examined the healing bruises on the front of Camila's torso and seemed satisfied with the result. "Yeah, that's looking good too. I'm going to move on to your back now, just stay seated like this."

She walked around the examination table, for a good view of Camila's back.

"I'm going to remove the bandages now." She warned Camila , putting on a fresh pair of examination gloves and making quick work of the gauze on her back.

Lauren offered her hand and to her surprise Camila took it without a moment's hesitation.

"No sign of infection." The doctor declared after a few minutes of checking the cuts. "You did a fantastic job, Lauren, they're healing well. Whatever you're doing, keep it up and they should be fading within the next three weeks." Camila smiled happily at the news.