" You're falling for her"

The doorbell rang and Camila almost bounced out of the chair she was sitting on. Lauren chuckled fondly.

"Go on then, open the door. I know you can't wait to see her."

"Thank you, Lauren." Camila called, already halfway to the front door. Lauren followed her at a slower pace, ready to welcome their guests.

It was three days after Christmas, the day of Selena and Taylor's visit. No one else was home – Lauren's parents were at work and Chris had decided he'd rather spend the day with Ashton than stay with them. Camila had been a picture of excitement all morning; Lauren loved seeing this happy side of her even if she was a little bit nervous herself.

She knew nothing about Selena, really. She knew she took good care of her slave, judging by their first meeting in Doctor Holland's waiting room, but other than that, the girl was a complete stranger. Lauren just hoped they would be able to find a common tongue. This visit was more for Camila and Taylor's sake, but it would be nice to not spend it in awkward silence.

When Lauren got to the hall, the two slaves were already hugging in the doorway, Selena waiting patiently behind them. Finally they pulled apart, making room in the small entrance area, and after a bit of shuffling around with coats and boots and the box of macarons the visitors brought, the initial chaos was under control and they could move over to the living room.

"May I make drinks for everyone, Lauren?" Camila asked politely as soon as they were seated.

Normally, Lauren would protest, saying she could do it herself, but she could see how eager Camila was to actually do something for their guests.

"That would be very nice, Camila, thank you," she said instead. "I'll have coffee. Selena?"

"Tea, thanks."

Lauren nodded at Camila and made sure to add, "And get whatever you like for the two of you, okay?"

"Yes, Lauren. Thank you." Camila beamed at her.

"I'll go help you," Taylor sprang up from the little loveseat in the corner where she'd just settled. "If I may?" She added like an afterthought, looking between Selena and Lauren.

"Of course," Selena said, and Lauren nodded.

Lauren could hear them talking quietly the second they left the room. She was alone with Selena now and for a while, they just looked at each other, smiling awkwardly. Lauren cleared her throat, not sure what to say, then decided they had at least one topic that was sure to be shared.

"So, how long has Taylor been with your family?" She asked.

"Almost two years now."

"Oh wow. That's quite a while."

Selena nodded. "How about Camila? I never asked."

"Just about a month." Lauren said, a little astonished even as she said that. It felt like so much longer. It was already hard to remember what her life had been like before Camila became a part of it.

"SHe looks much better than when we first met," Selena said.

"Yes, she's healing nicely. Physically, at least."

"So..." Selena hesitated, then went on. "You really saved her from the market?"

Lauren nodded, her face falling as memories hit her. "They were going to kill her there, I bought her at the last moment."

Selena's eyes grew wide with disbelief. "Wow. I heard terrible things about those markets but I had no idea–" sHe paused and schooled her face into an oddly controlled expression. "It was nice of you to do that when buying a healthy, undamaged slave would have been much easier in the long run."