CHAPTER TWO

Change is still the constant of life

I wake up to the sound of my alarm ringing loudly from under my pillow. I groan and mumble incoherent words to myself, still half asleep.

“Harida”, my mom shouts in my ear. “It’s almost 6am; your bus will soon arrive, stand up and prepare for school”

I wake up with another groan. “Ok mom.” School is something I am never eager to hear. I hate school so much not because I have a problem with my teachers or my academics but because I have a problem with the students in it except my best friends. I hastily stand up from my bed and check the clock beside my bed to find out that the time is 5:20am which gives me forty minutes to get ready. I thank God that my brother, Chuks is not going to school today because they are going for an excursion today and daddy and mommy refused to let him go with his mates. They were only given a week-long holiday for the Salah so they resumed since last week unlike me.

I have ironed my uniform last night so all I have to do is take my bath, brush my teeth and eat breakfast.

It’s almost 6am when I was done. I woke my little brother a while ago so that he can take his bath before our parents wake up to find him still asleep. They believe that every young human being is supposed to be awake before 6:00am which is really not true. Chuks is just seven years old so he needs as much sleep as he can get but my parents do not agree to this
I am sure that my bag is packed when I go to my parents’ room and knock on their door.

“Yes?” My dad answers from the other side of the door.

“Good morning sir, I am done preparing for school and was wondering if you and mummy will come so we can pray”, I say uncertainly. I have been more humble and respectful since Saturdays’ incident. I am not ready for a repeat of events yet.

“OK, we are coming.” My dad answers.

I go back to the living room and wait for them. After we finished praying, they go back to their room. After a while, I hear the sound of my bus honking, “Mom, Dad.  I am going”, I say as I start rushing to the gate.

“Ok”, they both grumble before I entered the bus and shut the door behind me

$$$

When I get to school, I immediately go to my class room because senior student are no more allowed to partake in the assembly because of the upcoming exams. I pull my schedule for this session and rush down the hallway to the fourth floor where my class is being held. My school believes that the higher the class you are, the higher your classroom should be.

When I get there, I am breathing heavily from the flight of stairs I just climbed. I rush into the classroom and everyone’s attention shifts from the teacher to me.

“Good morning, Mr.  Austin”, I say with a cheeky smile.

“Good morning, Harida. How have you been preparing for your exams?” he asks.

“Everything has been going just fine”, I answer. Yes! WAEC is in exactly seven days’ time. Even though all my teachers have assured me that with my grades and intelligence, I am going to ace my WAEC, I still can’t stop feeling nervous. The funny thing is that all my classmates are studying really hard since the beginning of senior year for this exams and I haven’t even started studying but I guess I have nothing to worry about because with my high score in JAMB and a little effort put in my upcoming WAEC, I would probably gain admission into the university of Nigeria, Nsukka.