CHAPTER 15

“Why are you sitting with me here and your classmates are over there?” Nonso asks.

I shrug, hoping he will just leave it there and forget it.

“Say something and don’t just keep quiet. You are also graduating so you should be there with your mates. Why are you not there with them?”

“I don’t want to go there. I want to stay with you, moreover, I feel more comfortable staying here with you” I say.

“You are so weird for your own good. Every student’s dream is to sit under the graduate canopy and be recognized as one but you chose to be different.” I can detect a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Well, not everyone loves attention and it is not my fault that I am different from other people.” I snap at him, suddenly annoyed.

A glint of recognition passes through his eyes, followed by guilt, worry and pain.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I ask.

“Is it because of what happened that you don’t want to go there? Are you scared that they are going to mock you?” He asks carefully.

When I came back on Tuesday after the awful incident, I became lonely and felt the need to be with someone that understands what I was feeling and knowing that Ifeanyi wasn’t there, I decided to tell Nonso. Being the wonderful big brother he is, he consoled me and ever since then he has been more overprotective and his tenderness has increased by ten folds.

I see his eyes get watery and I know that my silence is enough of an answer for him. He shifts his chair closer to mine.

“Hey, I am sorry. I forgot. It’s okay for you stay here” He says, guiltily.

I don’t answer him. I just keep staring at him with a blank face and leave him to wallow in his guilt.

He doesn’t seem to like it and keeps looking at me, worriedly.

“Are you sure you are okay? Do you need anything?” he says.

“I am okay. Can you please stop worrying yourself? It’s making me feel weird. Let’s just behave like I never told you anything at least for today” I say blearily.

He looks at me cautiously and gives a very subtle nod.

“Thanks. You are the best big brother ever and I love you so much” I stretch my hands and hug him, hoping that he will forget about everything and stop worrying himself about nothing.

I feel really happy when I pull back and see a boyish grin caved out on his lips.

“Hey, they are announcing the best graduating student of the year” He says, holding my hand tightly and squeezing the life out of it.

He has this strong belief that I am going to be the best graduating student; he even says that if I don’t get announced as the best, he is going to burn down the school because it’s clear cheating. I laughed at his face when he said it because even though I know that I am very befitting for the title, I don’t think I am going to be the one. To be honest, I think Dubem is going to be the one, after all he is the golden boy of the school and he studied very hard for the finals.

“What are you thinking about? Hold everything in and focus for this five minutes, this is your dream moment” Nonso says while still looking at my principal who is the one announcing the award. I feel like arguing it with him benefit of doubts and listen.

“… This student I am talking about is a student that should be honored and accorded with respect because it was earned. During her six years stay in this school, she shun brighter than the brightest star. She was noticed by every student in this school and even by outsiders. She is a great ambassador of this school. In terms of character, she is the best, very respectful and humble. You cannot tell me that she did something wrong and I will believe you; instead I would doubt you. She is simply a living saint. If I keep talking about her, we are not going to leave this place today so I am just going to go straight to the point and call her out. I am talking of no other person than Miss Chikamharida Azubuike” He says and it is followed by a round of applause and Woo’s from the crowd. He turns to me with a big smile.