CHAPTER 18

True friends are the best things in life

About five minutes ago, I called Ify to tell him to start coming to my hostel and immediately I get there, I find him leaning on a tree behind the hostel. I quickly walk over there to meet him.

He notices my presence and smiles while opening his arms for me to step into.

I gladly step into the comfort of his arms and hug him tightly.
“I missed you so much” I say while breathing in his scent.

He chuckles, “It was just one week, Harida.”

“Not just one week, it was one hundred and sixty eight hours which is equivalent to one thousand and eighty minutes. I miss you every minute on the day so what am I supposed to do when you decide to go ghost on me for one thousand and eighty minutes. That’s death on its own.” I say. I know I am being too dramatic but what can I say, I am a drama queen.

“It’s not like we are going to be together forever so one week shouldn’t kill you. Moreover, you are being too dramatic.” He says while walking to the nearby bench to sit down. I follow suite and sit down next to him

“So that’s what you are going to say after I tell you I miss you right? Did I commit a sin for missing my own best friend?” I feign hurt.

He knows that it’s just a joke but decides to play along.
“You know I am just joking, right? I really did miss you more than you think.”

I giggle, “I know right? What’s there not to miss?”

He chuckles, “So how have you been?”

“I have been good. Everything has been stressful but we are surviving. You?”

“Nothing much. Just moving from class to class, trying to do assignments and registering courses. I never knew university was this stressful”

“What were you thinking? That there wouldn’t be classes and people would do your assignments for you?” I ask him, laughing.

“Not really but I thought classes would not be compulsory and that you wouldn’t have to walk from place to place just to register a course. If I knew it was like that I wouldn’t have applied. I would have gone into music fulltime. By now, I would have been the new Tupac.”

I can’t hold my laughter anymore so I just let it pour out. I see passersby looking at me as If I have grown three heads but I don’t care and just keep laughing my heart out.

“You? Tupac?” I say and burst into another fit of laughter.

“Why are you laughing? You are just underestimating me. When I would be a superstar, you will be here telling people- I once knew this guy” He says, too confidently that it’s funny.

“So what you are trying to tell me indirectly is that when you get popular you would forget me” I give him a dirty look.

“You know I can never forget you. I am just giving an instance.” He says remorsefully.

“Well, let’s forget about for now and talk about me. Guess what?” I ask cheerfully.

“Nonso got a girl pregnant?”

I smack him on the chest, “That wasn’t funny”

“What? You were the one that said I should guess and that’s what I did.” He says, smirking. He is trying to hold in his laughter for getting me in that position.

“I am sorry. I just couldn’t help it. It was literally begging me to say something savage……So, what’s really up?”

“Well, I got a new friend.” I feel really good telling him this because he has been bothering me to make new friends since forever even though I have told him countless of times, that I am I satisfied with having only him as a friend.