CHAPTER 7

When I get to the principal office, I knock three times before entering. I walk into the office to find my father sitting on the chair in front of my principal. I immediately feel air leaving my lungs. Out of all the reasons I came up with as for why the principal was looking for me, my dad was the last thing on the list. For my dad to come to my school, it means something is wrong. He didn’t even come when I was graduating from junior class. What have I done that made my dad to leave his office and come to my school?

“Harida, how are you doing?” My principal asks when he sees me entering.

“Good morning Sir” I say. I clench and unclench my hands to relieve some of my nervousness. I notice that my dad isn’t paying attention to me. He is looking forward like he doesn’t even know that anyone is standing beside him

“Do you have any exams today?” My principal, Mr. Nnamdi asked me calmly.

I start sweating profusely and start fidgeting because I know that my dad has found out that I do not have any papers today. I told them that I had chemistry practical today.

“Miss Harida, I asked you a question.” Mr. Nnamdi tells me.

“I-I do not have any exams today” I say, stuttering a little at the beginning. I bow my head knowing what is to come next.

“So why are you in school today?”

“I came… to practice some questions with some of my classmates for tomorrow’s biology exam.” I answer.

“Is that what you told your father?”

His question is answered with an uncomfortable silence from me.

“Your father called me to ask me when you will be done with your chemistry exam and that was when I knew something was fishy because chemistry practical exams were conducted last week. I told him exactly that and he decided to come here to find out what was wrong. Why didn’t you just tell your father what you came to school to do? Why did you have to lie?” He asks.

I was tempted to tell him why? To tell him how he wouldn’t have let me to come; to tell him how a well-respected man like my father maltreats his own daughter; how I lied so I would escaped the tortures of my own home and how I just wanted to find peace. I was tempted to tell him everything but I knew it would just make things worse. My dad would kill me or probably throw me out in the streets if I spoil his reputation. He already hates me, I can’t worsen my case. So instead of explaining my pitiful situation to him, I keep my mouth shut.

“Since you do not want to talk, you will be punished in the school assembly tomorrow. You should be present in the school before 7:45am and in no case should I look for you. Do you understand?” He says.

I nod.

“You can go home now” He tells me. “Mr. Andrew, I am very sorry for her behavior. We will make sure she is disciplined according to the rules of the school”

“Thank you very much. I love how you handled the case and I am very sorry for disturbing you” My father replies like the good man he pretends to be.

“It’s my pleasure sir” Mr. Nnamdi says.

My father plasters a fake smile on his face while walking to the door. I follow him from behind, walking at a safe distance from him. When he gets to the car, he just enters without saving me a glance. He moves the car immediately I enter without waiting for me to sit properly or to put on my sit belt. The ride home is a silent one but not the same kind of silence Kosi and I shared some minutes ago. It’s a disturbing and uncomfortable silence, just like the ones I have on a regular basis but worse. I try to think of the punishments he will give me when we get home but my mind is clouded. I have never done this before. My part of me keeps remembering how he punished me when I didn’t get the garden eggs for Pastor Adebayo but I keep brushing it off, reminding myself that it was just a one-time thing.