CHAPTER 11

“Are you Okay? Did he hit you before I came? I am so sorry. I was sleeping and you know I am a heavy sleeper. If Chuks didn’t call me, I don’t know what would have happened to you by now” He starts rambling.

I laugh. “I am okay, stop worrying”

“You know I am never going to stop worrying. I don’t want you to ever get hurt again. All this things won’t be happening if I stood by you throughout” He says.

“It’s not your fault, Nonso. The only people responsible for this are Pastor Adebayo, Daddy and Mommy. Mommy and Daddy believe Pastor Adebayo in the expense of their children so they are the ones to blame not you. You were only misguided and that isn’t your fault.” I tell him.

“I know but if I had done something…”

“If you had done something, nothing would have changed. Forget the past and focus on the present. I am just so happy that I have you on my side now.”

“But I never knew that Pastor Adebayo is such a deceiver”

“Hmm… He is deceiving everybody in his congregation and it is so sad that mommy and daddy are victims. I blame them though, if they were not so bent on receiving miracles, nobody would be able to deceive them. They don’t want to be patient. All they want to hear in a church is; divine healing, divine manifestation, financial breakthrough and so on. No one wants to be patient again. No one wants to go to church with a mind of praising and worshiping God only. Everybody wants breakthrough and prophecies about marriage and promotion. People like Pastor Adebayo are just smart enough to know that they can use what people want the most to manipulate them into giving a lot.”

“You know Simon, my friend? Their case is just like ours. His parents worship that man. Do you know that the new car Pastor Adebayo is driving? It is Simon parents that bought it for him but they couldn’t pay his school fees. Up till now, he hasn’t registered his courses because his parents didn’t pay his fees.”

“They can’t pay their own son fees but they can buy car for pastor. This thing is really getting out of hand. If you see Pastor Adebayo’s new house, it’s a mansion. I don’t know how only he and his family stay in that house. And do you know the funny thing? He knows the exact amount of money that daddy receives from his salary every month so he knows exactly how much daddy is meant to pay as tithes in his church. It is really annoying to watch how gullible daddy and other members of his church are. He has them tied around his palm for him to do anything he pleases with them.”

“The part that is annoying me the most is that since we joined that his church, we have not progressed one bit. Daddy has not been financially stable for more than three months. The only thing he uses his money to do is thanksgiving. Everything is just giving me headache. Before we joined his church, I know how rich we were but now, I won’t be surprised if daddy says that we have gone bankrupt.”

I chuckle, “Nonso, we have not reached the stage of bankrupt yet. I still go to one of the best schools in Abuja. We live in a duplex and we have three cars. I know that things are not as easy as it was then but we are still okay financially.”

“We are still okay now doesn’t mean that things cannot change tomorrow. If daddy keeps going like this, we are going to go bankrupt.”

“We will not go bankrupt in Jesus name at least still after I finish my studies.”

He releases a throaty laugh.

“You are a wicked girl. So when you finish your schooling, they are allowed to go bankrupt” He teases.

“Yes. I don’t want to be a drop out. At least after school I will be able to hustle to take care of myself but if I don’t finish school, who will employ somebody with only WAEC certificate? Even people with their university certificate are battling unemployment talk more of me that is still yet to finish secondary school.”