CHAPTER 9

Stop” I hear someone shout in annoyance.

I keep going, pretending that I didn’t hear that. Suddenly, I get pulled back and forced to turn around.

“What is it?” I huff in annoyance and turn around completely to see the person. I find Mariah looking at me with so much venom in her eyes but I simply ignore it.

“Mariah, it’s you. How are you?” I ask calmly, completely ignoring the look she is giving me.
“You must be very stupid”
“Why are you insulting me?” I ask, confusion evident in my tone.
“Stop pretending like you don’t know what you did”
“If I did something to you, tell me so that I can apologize” I say.

“That’s my problem with you. You are always acting like you are the most innocent person in the world. You are always acting like you are the most perfect human being on this earth. Who do you even think you are? Do you think you are better than me?” She said in a loud voice, drawing a large amount of crowd to us.

I look around to find people staring at me. Anxiety takes over me and I can feel goose bumps crawling up my skin. My heart starts pounding, my scalp stings and my throats constricts with panic.

Why is this girl trying to cause a scene?
“I never said I am better than you. I don’t get why you are harassing me, what did I do wrong? Just tell me and I promise that I will apologize.” I say in a very low voice.

“You must be very stupid to tell me that. You are just an idiot. I got punished in the exam hall today because you. Just because you are intelligent doesn’t mean you should go about showing off. I just want to let you know that no matter how intelligent you are, there is always someone better than you” She says angrily.

“I don’t understand how this concerns me. What do you mean? What did I do?” I ask, still not understanding anything she is saying,

“Since you are so dumb, I will gladly explain it to you. During biology exam, I was calling you and you completely ignored me. I told people beside you to call you but you completely ignored them too. I was totally stuck and no one seemed to know the answer but I knew you would know it. I tried once more but you didn’t even move. You behaved like you didn’t hear anyone calling your name. I knew that if I just sat down there and continue waiting for you, I will never get my answer, so when the inspector left to go to the restroom, I came to your seat and instead of you to tell me the answer or show me your answer sheet, you purposely started writing slowly so I would get caught. Because of you, I got caught standing up in front of someone else’s seat. The invigilator made me to stand up for twenty minutes. I wasn’t even done when he collected my answer script. I didn’t answer two questions, worth fifteen marks each. If you answered me when I called you or if you even put small effort in writing the answer when I came to your seat, I would have not got caught” She barks
.
“I am very sorry that you couldn’t finish your questions but the truth is that I didn’t really hear you when you were calling me. I was solely focused on finishing my exam that I didn’t pay attention. And the answer of question four is very long, everyone can testify to that. That is the reason I wasn’t able to finish writing before the invigilator came. I am really sorry but as long as you did the rest of the questions correctly, it won’t affect you much.” I tell her.

“You finished all your questions that is why you can happily say that. I just want to let you know that if I fail biology, you won’t like what I will do to you.” She growls.

“Why are you threatening me? How is it my fault that you didn’t finish it? I have apologized for not answering you so why are you still blaming me for you predicament? I wasn’t the one that told you to stand up from your seat.” I say.