CHAPTER 14

Your saviour might be the person you don't expect

Before I even get to the staircase, I hear the beating of my heart get louder. My knees feels weak and I am tempted to just go back to where we came from and sit down but I overcome that temptation. I need to get my answers or I will be restless all day and he is the only one that can give me the answers I need so that means I have to meet him or I won’t be getting my answers anytime soon.

When we get there, we see him sitting at the lowest point in the staircase with his head bow low and his back turned to us. I make a gagging sound with my throat to let him know that he has company. He instantly turns to find the intruder on hearing the noise. When he finds out who is standing in front of him, he face is contorted with shades of surprise, comprehension and then guilt. I am not sure about the last one but that is what it looks like.

I want to say a lot of things to him but I don’t know where to start so I keep my mouth shut. Ifeanyi helps me to initiate the issue at hand as if knowing that I am lost at words.

“We have come here for you to explain to us what’s been happening in this school since today because we are honestly confused about the whole situation” Ifeanyi says with a blank face. He speaks with an authoritative manner that he never uses and you can’t help but feel intimidated no matter who you are.

He looks at us innocently feigning confusion at Ifeanyi’s choice of words.

“What do you mean?” Kosi asks.

The ways he asks that question like he is completely oblivious to what we are talking about makes me possess a wave of boldness and anger.

“What does he mean? Is that what you asking? Stop all this acting and explain to me why on earth you did such a thing to me. What did I ever do to deserve that kind of treatment from you? Do you even have a conscience? What will you get from such evil you displayed? Do you like to see me humiliated in front of my mates or you are just a lonely boy that is seeking attention from anything that comes his way? I try to understand why you did this and I can’t even come up with a reasonable explanation. I thought we were friends; I thought I found a companion in you; I thought I found someone who could share my pain with me but how wrong I was.” I yell with my voice increasing at every single word I utter out of my mouth.

Ifeanyi takes my right hand in his left and squeezes it in a reassuring and consoling manner and it spreads a calming effect all over my body. I am thankful that the school is outside in the field if not I would have drawn a large amount of crowd to myself and that is the last thing I need now. Today was supposed to be a day assigned to showcasing all the activities planned by the clubs and societies in the school for the upcoming price-giving day and graduation ceremony so it can be approved by the principal so every one of my classmates are out for the mock graduation.

I turn back to Kosi expecting him to say something; anything but instead, he just keeps looking at me like someone that doesn’t understand anything I just said. I take a few steps closer to him. All I want to do now is push him off the stairs and watch every bone in his body break. The sweet sound of his bone breaking is the only thing that can presently make me happy. I take two more threatening steps to him but before I can get to him, Ifeanyi pulls me back with his hands.

“If he doesn’t want to talk, just tell him what you have in mind and let’s go. If you do anything stupid, we are going to get in trouble with the school authorities and I know that it’s the least thing you want to do” Ifeanyi says.

I turn to look at him and I feel my eyes watering. I don’t try to hold back the tears because I know that I can’t. I let them flow freely so that he can know all the pain he is causing me to feel.