2 - Telling The Kids

Friday 26th April 2013
"Dougy, Kayla. Daddy has something to tell you." I said as we walked in the door. They both nodded and Kayla actually put her things away before going into the living room.

"Daddy!" Kayla climbed up onto the couch and hugged her father. It was a beautiful sight and I took a photo of them on my phone. "What do you need to tell us?" She asked curiously.

"I...don't...know?" He looked up at me confused. I held up the script and he instantly knew. "Okay." He held his daughter tightly and my heart broke for them all. Doug sat beside him and I sat on the other side, by Kayla. "So do you remember when mama did Wicked?"

"Yeah. I didn't like it, she was never home." Doug admitted and I took a sharp breath.

"Well I've got a job to do another show. So I won't be home much. Mama will be here and I will be here at times, just not as much as I am currently. I'm so sorry." Kayla began crying, which caused Doug to cry as well. I struggled to hold back the tears as I watched the lights of my life, sobbing. I took Kayla from Chris's arms and bopped her up and down. I kissed her nose, tickled her. I did everything I could think of to make her smile. But nothing worked. As a family I could feel us falling into a pit of misery already. Douglas eventually stopped crying, being older, and he knew what was going to happen, I continued to hold my daughter to my chest tightly.

"Kayla, it's okay baby girl. Mama will always be here, and you can see daddy at rehearsals maybe and in the morning. He's here Sunday mornings and evening and all day on Monday. So he can have dinner with us and put you to bed on those days. He will still be here a lot. Just not all the time like he is currently."

"But I love daddy! I don't want him to go!"

"I love your daddy too. And daddy loves you. But we will be okay. We will get through this and you will hardly notice him gone. Also you will get to watch Daddy one day."

"Alright." I gave her a kiss and she cuddled into me. "As long as you don't leave me."

"I'll never leave you completely honey. I may work again one day. But right now, as long as daddy is working, I'm more than happy to stay with my beautiful family. Plus, with your daddy gone, I'm gunna need two incredible big kids to help me look after the twins. Do you think you can do it?"

"Yeah." She said smiling slightly. Chris stood up and walked off upstairs. I could see the expression on his face as he left and he did not look happy.

"Chris?" I called after him. "Chris, honey, can you come here?" Again no response except the found of his feet stomping on the stairs. I sighed and put Kayla down. She walked over to the rockers and smiled at the twins.

"I love you Benny and Ryeli." She said kissing their foreheads. "I will always be here for you, even if daddy isn't. Mama, Dougy and I will be here." I began making dinner and when it was done at 6, I put the plates with pie and mash and veg on the table for the four of us. Chris had been upstairs alone for a full half an hour and that worried me.

"Dougy, Kayla, wash your hands please then sit for dinner." They ran off smiling and I smiled as I watched them. "Chris! Dinner is ready my love." I called. Doug and Kayla came back and sat down at the table.

"Looks yummy mama." Doug said smiling.

"Thank you." I turned to the door and stood by it looking up the staircase. "CHRISTOPHER! DINNER!" I yelled. When he didn't come a small tear fell down my eye. I went back to the table. "I'll be back in a bit, You two can start eating." I then walked calmly out of the room but ran up the stairs to our bedroom.