5 - Tattoos

Friday 10th May 2013
Chris was out at a rehearsal for Hamilton so I was home alone with all four children. Ryeli, Benny and Kayla were all taking naps and Doug was doing his homework for the weekend. I sat with him drawing doodles in a sketch pad. I felt blue and lonely. I felt sad but I couldn't express that with the kids around. I heard the door shut and looked up surprised.

"Mandy, I'm home babe."

"Chris? What are you doing back to early my love?" I stood up and he came in and kissed my forehead.

"Rehearsals finished early today and then I went and got you a little surprise."

"Oh Okay." I smiled softly and kissed his lips gently.

"I got a new tattoo."

"Oh." I looked down nervously. I hoped it wasn't anything big. I liked his small one on his bicep but I didn't want him to end up covered. "Let's see." I said nervously. He flipped his arm over and I gasped. On the inside of his wrists he had all four of our children's names tattooed going from his hand downwards towards his shoulder. In between Kayla and Benjamin however was 11 small asterisks. "Our lost child." I whispered, so Doug couldn't hear, as I rubbed my finger over it. I miscarried at 11 weeks, so he had 11 asterisks for that.

"Yeah." Chris ran his fingers through my curls and I leant against him while stroking his wrist.

"It's beautiful and perfect Chris. I love it so much. The kids will love it too."

"There's another." He took his hand from my hair and put his other arm around me so I stood with my back to his chest. He turned his other wrist around and I saw my name engraved on it with little hearts after the 'y'. I smiled widely.

"You did this for me?"

"Yeah. Because I love you and you will forever be the love of my life. And my children will always be my beautiful children. And you're their mother Mandy."

"And you're their father." I continued to hold his wrists in my hands and rub the tattoos with my thumbs. "So perfect, and beautiful. This means the world to me Chris."

"I'm glad." I stayed in his arms a little longer.

"Daddy, What's on your arm, why is mama looking at your arm in a loving way?" Chris and I walked over to him and sat in the chair next to Doug as I stood behind him.

"Daddy got new tattoos Doug." He said. "Do you want to see?"

"Yes please Daddy." Chris showed him his wrists. "Wow. That's so cool. Douglas, Kayla, Benjamin and Ryeli." He didn't catch onto the asterisks which I was thankful for, I wasn't ready for them to know yet. I didn't ever want them to know. I smiled as I watched him sit in awe.

"And mama has her name on my other wrist."

"That's amazing daddy. But why?"

"So I always have you with me. When I go to work and I don't get to see you very often, I will always have you in my head and my heart. Every time I look at my wrist I will be thinking of my babies. Of my Dougy, Kayla, Benny, Ryeli and my beautiful wife and your mother, Mandy."

"Mama is beautiful." He agreed. "And she's the best mama in the whole world. I wouldn't change her for anything."

"Thanks buddy." I ran my fingers though his hair and kissed the top of his head. "Babe, as you're here, do you want to go get Kayla from her nap. If she's not up now, she won't sleep tonight."

"Okay honey. I love you."

"I love you too." I gave him another kiss before he headed upstairs to our daughter.