[1] More Than Friends

Virgil looked at the male sat across from him. They were friends, best friends, and they'd known one another since birth, practically, and they were happy to be around one another, but when Virgil had been told about him finding a possible date, he realised that was not what he wanted. He didn't want to sit on the side and watch as his best friend, and possible love interest, finds someone else and leave him behind.

His friend looked as immaculate as ever, his hair was combed back in his signature way, his glasses lay straight on his face, despite him being anything but, and his black shirt and blue tie sat wrinkle free, making him seem more sophisticated. Upon closer inspection, his eyes were darting all over the place, trying to locate his possible future boyfriend, his leg was bouncing, and his hands were clammy, leaving slight marks on his cup after taking a shaky sip from the scalding liquid inside.

"What time were they supposed to be here?" Virgil asked his friend, who snapped his attention to him almost as soon as the words left his mouth.

"Half an hour ago."

"Don't you think you should leave? He's not going to show."

"A few more minutes."

"Logan, he isn't going to show. He probably Catfished you..."

Logan looked at him sadly, knowing that Virgil was right. He sighed and nodded, showing that he was letting Virgil win, and take him away. He couldn't help but have a sliver of hope, this guy he'd met seemed genuinely interested in him, and he thought it was different. It wouldn't ever be. Part of him was glad about that, especially since he had certain feelings towards his best friend.

They walked towards their shared apartment in silence, neither knew what to say to the other, and most of all, Virgil felt guilty. He felt guilty for pulling Logan away, he felt guilty for feeling relieved that the guy didn't show, and he felt guilty for feeling like he had a shot. He needed to be there for his friend, but he didn't know how. He didn't want to be just a friend, he wanted more, and he didn't know how to approach the subject.

Logan felt slightly happy when Virgil suggested they leave, he wasn't quite sure why, but he knew that he didn't want to meet this guy, he only did it because he wanted to ignore the way he felt towards Virgil, and he didn't want to risk ruining their friendship, even if it meant suffering in silence.

Logan was always said to be the smarter of the two, so it surprised almost everyone around them that he didn't pick up on the way Virgil felt. Ever since they were kids, Logan always knew how Virgil felt, whether it be anxiety, or happiness, stress, or sadness, Logan knew. Logan was able to read Virgil like a book, so when he didn't appear to pick up on the strong romantic feelings that Virgil felt towards him, including jealousy, everyone was slightly confused. Virgil most of all, especially because he knew how Logan got when he found out how he felt.

Virgil unlocked their apartment and sighed. It wasn't that he didn't like the house, it just felt like it was lacking something. In all fairness, it was. They used to live with their other two friends from high school, but they moved out not too long ago to have their own life, and start their own family. Both of them knew of the feelings that were shared between Logan and Virgil, but they never said anything, as requested, despite how often they wanted to.

"I miss them too, you know?" Logan spoke up, after turning to see Virgil looking at the picture of the four of them on the mantle, from the last day in their apartment together.

"Why don't they call?" Virgil turned to Logan, with a sad expression in his eyes.

"I am sure they will, they still need to settle into their new house, and with their jobs and everything."

"They've had 4 months! I've not heard from them in four months. I just want to talk to them."

"I know." Logan extended his arms out, and Virgil deflated, letting himself be wrapped into a hug by Logan.

They moved to the sofa, and put on a film, one that neither of them were really watching, they just needed the dull sound in the background to help lull them into their thoughts.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we left this apartment too, packed up and started a new life elsewhere, without one another?" Virgil looked up at Logan as he spoke, he didn't really want to start a life without Logan, but he'd never admit that outloud.

"I... I had never thought of it, nor do I wish to. I do not plan on starting a new life without you."

Virgil smiled and looked away, hoping to hide the light blush that was starting to form. "Why?"

"Because I care about you, in ways I didn't understand until now. I do not want to let you go."

"Why?"

"I love you Virgil, and I'm ashamed that it has taken me this long to realise that I do."

Virgil smiled and looked up at his friend. "I love you too, I have for too long."

Logan smiled and cupped Virgil's cheek with his hand, glancing down at Virgil's lips, silently asking for permission.

As best as he could, Virgil nodded, and let his lips be captured by his friend's lips. The same lips he'd thought about kissing so many times.

The kiss was no more than a short peck, but it was more than Virgil ever thought he would get.

Neither had anything to say when they parted, so they turned back to the movie, and let themselves be consumed by their thoughts. Maybe one day they would definitely be more than friends, but for now, they had time to think everything through.

1010 words

Hope you enjoyed
Take care
xx