Chapter 12: Family & Feelings

-*-*-

A/N:

Finally we start to explore Jacob & Donna's feelings. We'll see more of them now as we go along. My goal is to try and fill in more of the POV and feelings of each character as we go along, where appropriate.

-*-*-

The Doctor was the first to stand after they finished their 'mind-work' for the morning. He reached out his hand and helped Scarlett up from the floor. Jacob did the same for Donna. Jack had hopped up quickly on his own.

"If everyone is ready, we'll wait for Balen in the control room," the Doctor spoke towards all those following him as he walked out of the library. "I have something for you before we leave."

Donna, Jacob, and Jack looked between each other curiously, and Jack shrugged in response. When they arrived in the control room, the Doctor knelt and opened a hidden compartment in the underside of the console.

"The TARDIS and I have been considering this—really ever since we left Pete's World. Last night I completed the final specifications and she worked on them all night, so they would be ready today." He pulled a metal box out of the compartment and set it on top of the console, his hand resting on the lid. "We have a lot of work to do here, and I can't be everywhere to open every door, unlock every lock, fix every gear—at any rate—"

"Doctor, what are you saying?" Jacob said, peering curiously at the box.

"You all are my family now. The best family I could ask for—" He opened the box, pulled out a device, and turned to hand it to Jacob.

"My own sonic screwdriver! Ha!" Jacob grinned and laughed with glee. He looked at the device more closely and noted that it's handle was blue and had his name etched into the handle in Gallifreyan.

"And for the best super-temp in the whole of time and space—" The Doctor pulled out what looked like a pen and handed it to Donna. The pen was a sleek black and etched in purple Gallifreyan was her name.

"A pen?" She took it and looked closer. "A sonic pen! It's very sleek, spaceman!" She grinned and gave him a hug.

The Doctor grinned back and winked at her before he turned back to the box and pulled out another sonic device. This one was more like a sonic screwdriver but seemed more elegant in design. Its handle was dark purple, and Scarlett's name was etched into it. It looked almost like a miniature handheld scepter. "And for you my lady," the Doctor announced as he grinned and handed it over to Scarlett.

At this point, Jack, assuming that the Doctor was done, clapped his hands together once. "Fantastic, four Time Lords, four sonics! This is going to come in handy!"

"Oh, but Jack, I'm not done yet." The Doctor turned to him with a straight face.

"You're not?" Jack's expression turned puzzled.