Chapter 15: Sunset Surprises

"Look at that, Doctor! This is gorgeous! Oh, Donna would love it here." Jacob stepped away from the pump engine they had been working on by the waterfront to look out at the sunset.

The Doctor looked up at Jacob from where he lay, half under the engine. He then looked out over the water at the view his twin was taking in. "Yes, it is beautiful. Perhaps you should bring her here."

"How am I going to manage that? She barely leaves that office of hers, except for dinner, and that's usually if we've arranged something with the Queen, or you, or to sleep."

The Doctor had gone back to tinkering on the engine but stopped to think about Jacob's predicament. He really was thrilled that Jacob and Donna were getting along so well, and wanted to help his brother however he could, especially if it also meant treating his best friend to something so special. Suddenly, an idea popped into his head and he grinned. "Perhaps I can help with that."

Jacob looked down at the Doctor, his left eyebrow raising, "Oh?" Then he saw the grin on his face. "Oh, you're scheming something. What is it?"

The Doctor continued to tinker as he explained. "Well, perhaps if it was a direct order from the Queen herself. I'm fairly certain Donna wouldn't make an argument with Scarlett?"

Jacob's grin now became as wide as the Doctor's had been. He squatted down next to his twin, holding onto the side of the engine to keep his balance. "Why would the Quee—oh wait, oh you wouldn't—would you?"

The Doctor turned the wrench one last time, finishing the last of his repair work, and slid out from under the engine. As Jacob helped him up, he continued, "Anything for my brother—" He patted his twin on the shoulder. "—and my best friend."

Jacob turned back to the sunset and smiled wide. "Brilliant!"

The Doctor moved to stand next to him. "We'll plan for tomorrow then. I'll talk to Scarlett tonight after we finish dinner with her and Balen. We should be getting back so we can get washed up beforehand. I'm not showing up to another dinner with Scarlett looking like a mess."

Jacob defended his brother, "Well, you couldn't exactly help it that she surprised you with a picnic."

"True, but this dinner is not a surprise, so let's not press our luck, shall we?" The Doctor ushered them away from the pump area and out towards the closest transport station.

-*-*-

It had been two weeks since their picnic, and other than their dinners and status meetings, all of which happened amongst the whole group, the Doctor had seen little of Scarlett.

After they had finished their main course that evening, as they awaited for dessert, the Doctor spoke telepathically to Scarlett. I can't explain in detail now, but I need to speak with you later, if I can bother you after dinner.

After complimenting the chef as he brought out their dessert and presented it to them, Scarlett responded to the Doctor as she ate, Everything okay?

Oh, yes, it's fine. I was hoping you might be up for helping me with a surprise that Jacob would like for Donna.

Scarlett smiled behind her fork, hoping she could cover it up with another bite. Oh, that would be wonderful. I'm not meeting with anyone else this evening, I'll just be reading reports in my quarters—so just contact me when you get back to the TARDIS.

-*-*-

Late the next afternoon, Donna was standing over the shoulder of one of her assistants, looking between three different computer screens at reports coming in. "Why hasn't the watering system for the fields in Grid 20 been repaired? See how soon a repair team can get out there, otherwise, we'll check and see how soon the Time Twins can work their magic."