BEST FRIENDS

After we said goodbye to Tristan Joel, my brother Charlie his best friend Alberto and my mom all got in the car to head to Pizza Hut.  When we arrive there Joel and I are sitting next to each other and across from us is my brother and Alberto with my mom at the head of the table.  After a while, my mom is talking to my brother, and Alberto Joel leans over and asks, "what is going on between you and Tristan."  "I don't know Joel; he makes me feel giddy inside."  "Trin I don't like this.  He has just started school here, and he has glued himself to you."  "Come on Jo Jo. We are just friends."  "Yeah, maybe but I think he wants to be more."  "Yeah, right Jo Jo I am not the type of girl guys like in that way."  "Come on Trin you know I have always thought you were hot. I just don't like you  like that."

I shake my head.  "Then why have I never been on a date and the only guy to ever kiss me was you.  So that you could see what it was like to kiss me."  "Shhh, do you want your mom and Charlie to know about it and find out it was in Mr. Plas's classroom."  He places his hand on my thigh and rubs it up and down.  "No, but don't worry about Tristan it not as if he likes me that way."  "He wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me into a side hug.  "You know I will always be here for you, right."  "Yeah, I know same here."  After a while, my mom asked what was going on, and Joel and I looked up and said, "nothing."  

After dropping off Joel at home, Alberto came to spend the weekend with us as usual and while I was outside reading he walks up and sits down next to me and says "I heard what you said at dinner tonight.   You have to stop putting your self down, big sis."  "Lil' Bro come on no one ever asks me out."  "That is because a lot of the guys think you are dating Joel and he doesn't contradict them." "What do you mean?" "When guys ask him if you are his girlfriend he doesn't tell them you two are just friends.  Sometimes I think he does it on purpose because he doesn't want anyone else dating you."   "Oh, well he is not happy Tristan has been spending time with me."  "Yeah, I know I heard, but he needs to let you have a life."  "Are you sure?"  "Yep, I am sure Trin if Tristan asks to spend time with you alone do it."  "Well, he did at the Math and Science club stargazing party next week."  "Then do it."  "Are you sure?  I mean no one has ever shown that interest in me maybe they only ask him because he dates other girls."  "Trina, you need to be happy.  If Tristan asks you out again and you are interested as I said before just do it."  "Thanks, you better get in, or Bubba brown will wonder where you are."  "Nah, he won't he is in the middle of playing Super Mario Brothers."  We both laugh, and he takes off."  I lay there thinking about how much easier it would be to live in one of my books.  Where I do not have to worry about a male friend sabotaging my life.  Yet, in some of my books, there is someone seeking revenge on the heroin because of a 

On Monday when I got out of the car, I saw Tristan waiting.  Joel huffed and took off.  I shook my head and walked up to Tristan.  "Hey, Trin how are you doing this morning?" "I am good and you."  "Well, I thought we could talk."  "Sure, what's up."  "Look I heard something this weekend that I want to clear up." "Ok, what's up."  "Are you and Joel dating I know I have asked you this, but one of the guys on the team told me you were, but another one said you weren't."  "We aren't it is just that we are always together and I guess because he gives me massages plus we are always off whispering to each other, and we have fallen asleep together with my head on his chest."  "Ok, because I would like to spend more time with you."  He smiles at me and slips his hand into mine.  I look up at him as he holds my hand and I can't help but smile back at him "I would like that as well Tristan."

I never realized how much people believed Joel and me were together until I walked into my first-period class and Tony came bounding up and asked "Hey, so you and Tristan"  He waggled his eyes at me.  I smacked him and said, stop it.  "Ah come on Triny, I know he likes you he asked me a lot of questions about you  this weekend."  "Wait you were one of the guys who talked to him."  "Yep, and I told him you and Joel are just friends.  That the whole Joel is your boyfriend was just a rumor because he doesn't want you dating."  "I don't know why he is dating that girl from Mayson County."