POV: Queen Mumma

I keep the sippy cups on the bedside table and open the curtains to let the sun rays enter in.

It’s 8 O’Clock and Akshay is already at school. Twins are still sleeping but it’s their time to wake up. Everyday sharp at 8 I wake them up so I can get them ready for breakfast till 9 O’Clock.

‘It’s time to wake up shona.’ I caress their cheeks one by one as they lay cuddled with their stuff toys. Both their high beds meet at the end so they each pull my hands and keep it under their cheeks. Awww, they are so adorable and so much like their father. I love the small habits they inherited from him. But I must admit I also love the things they picked up from me. The family always says that Arshi is a lot like him and Aarushi is a replica of me. My Aaru, my little sensitive baby. And she sleeps like me in taekwondo pose. And then there's Arshi, her sleeping style is completely like her father's. Sometimes I wonder how can my two identical babies be so different in their nature?

I admire their innocent and cute faces. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by love for them, I feel like I could eat them up. My love for them knows no limit. I kiss their cheeks. I'd give and take life for them, if needed.

It’s not easy to wake them up. It takes 5 to 10 minutes and a mother for them to open their eyes. Whenever I feel they love Arnavji more than me, I remind myself of each morning and look forward to it. Because no matter how much time they spend with Arnavji during the day and how much he spoils them. There’s one thing which didn’t change from until the day they were born. They need my face in front of them when they open their eyes. Arnavji can put them to sleep but I better be there to cuddle when they wake up. If it's not the case, my cranky twins start crying.

It was easy when they were babies but now that they are growing up, I can't carry both at once. So I slowly make Aarushi leave my hand and carry Arshi. I pat her back and kiss her palm. She opens her eyes and snuggles into my chest, hugging me. I smile. It's so soothing. They are cuddlier than any teddy in this world.

‘Good morning jaan.’ I rub my nose with hers. She looks up at me with a lazy pout. I keep her back on her bed and hand her the sippy cup with milk. Now I gotta repeat the same process with Aaru to wake her.

I sometimes think how I would have handled everything if we didn't have servants at home, if I were married into a middle class family. Of course it never mattered to me in what a house I live or how much my husband earns as long we are a happy family. It's just after twins, I don't get to do much household chores. They take most of my time. And Arnavji demands the remaining bit.

I sigh and look at both as they lay in their beds drinking their milk silently. Their eyes are on me to make sure I'm there with them. For any other person they appear to be three years olds. But to me, they appear as the little babies I got home from hospital. Not a day older. I always thought I love Arnavji so much, more isn't possible. It changed the day I held them in my arms the first time.  I can't breathe without him. But they are my breathe. Without him my heart would stop beating. But they are my heart! I can't live without him. But they are my life.

*

‘Arshi, Aaru, freeze! Come here and eat.’ And again I am standing right in front of my daily challenge. Making them eat. They are so slow and so bad at eating when it comes to real healthy food. Candies and chocolates are no problem, it's breakfast, lunch and dinner they give me a hard time with.

Once Akshay finished his lunch, his tails too jumped off and got on their cars to ride around the hall. I told Arnavji not to get them these electric cars, but no, who ever listens to me? After all it's not him who runs behind them to forcefully feed them a roti.

‘I'll have these cars thrown away if you both don't stop right now.’ Here I am, running out of breathe and they,oh, they finally do stop. Thank you so much Devi Maiyya. Now please make them finish this roti.