Chapter Fifteen

[Chapter Fifteen]

[Chapter Fifteen]

Saros didn't get any sleep the night before Halloween, instead, he remained awake in his bed, listening to the sounds of his dormmates snoring or moving around in their beds. He stared up into the darkness of the ceiling, hoping that at least exhaustion would consume him and allow just a couple hours of rest before he was to get up the next morning. But Saros wasn't granted any such luck, as he remained awake until the sounds of other students getting up from the morning stirred his own dormmates.

Of course, as soon as Draco was awake, he came running into Saros' dorm to wake him up. Initially, he was surprised to see his brother awake, already working to place on his prosthetic, which Draco made a point not to look at.

"Saros, come on," Draco said, pulling on the sleeve of Saros' pyjama shirt, " I saw Cassius just head out, he's probably on his way to put his name in the Goblet. You have to get a move on if you're going to beat him-"

"Draco," Saros yawned, " it doesn't matter who puts their name in first with the Goblet. Professor Dumbledore says it chooses the Champion that it would deem worthy of competing. It's not a first come, first serve basis."

"Right, but you should show up too, then everyone else will see that they shouldn't even bother putting their names in. If they see you as a possible competitor, they'll just call it quits."

He continued to pull on Saros' sleeve, trying to get him to stand up, but unfortunately, Saros had not secured his leg properly before being pulled up, which left him to immediately become unbalanced. Suddenly, he fell to the floor, his leg falling over to the other side, as Draco stood in complete horror. Thankfully, the dorm room had been cleared out of the other students, just leaving the Malfoy siblings, but Draco could see by how red Saros' face was turning that he was extremely embarrassed at the time.

"Saros, I'm really sorry," Draco said in a small voice, fearful that his brother was going to start yelling at him and tell him to get away. When it came to anything that had to do with his leg, any incident, it usually led to Saros growing upset, even hostile a couple of times when they were back home. He didn't like being reminded of it and usually, when it was brought up in an inconvenient way or an accident, it would lead him to lose his temper rapidly. 

However, Saros didn't push Draco away nor did he start yelling at him. Instead, he continued to sit on the floor, staring over at his leg before Draco heard what sounded like sobbing.

"What have I done?" he managed to choke out. "What the fuck did I do?"

"It...it was my fault, Saros! I shouldn't have pulled you up like that," Draco stammered out quickly as he grabbed the leg from the ground and brought it over to him to place it on. "I should have just let you get up on your own, I'm so sorry!"

"You don't have to be sorry, Draco," Saros said quietly, " after all, this is all my fault. I shouldn't have done it in the first place."

Draco suddenly found himself confused as he didn't know what Saros was talking about but as he watched his brother cover his face, he was slowly piecing it together.