Chapter 1

Indulgent:
Having or indicating a tendency
To be overly generous to or lenient
With someone
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"No, go away." I tell him.

"Why? I told you I got caught up with something!" He sits closer to me.

"Oh yeah, you told me......after you left me standing at the chasm for nearly three hours Eric!"

" Y/N, I'm sorry."

I shove him. "Sorry doesn't help it, Eric. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get ready for the newbies."

I walk out of the cafeteria, down the hallway and into the pit.

I stand over the railing of the chasm and stare at the water.

"Breathe," I think to myself. "Breathe."

I take deep breathes to relax myself. "We believe, not just in bold words but in bold deeds to match them." I recite one of the last lines from the Dauntless manifesto.

Dauntless. The brave. The cowardless. Dauntless is one the five factions. The rest are Abnegation the selfless, Candor the honest, Amity the kindful, and Erudite the intelligent.

These five factions have lived together in peace for many years.

Today is the choosing ceremony. Where everyone who has reached 16 years of age is allowed to choose which faction they want to stay in or join.

So exciting.

I've gone through my ceremony and initiation two years ago. Best decision I've made, joining Dauntless.

"Y/N!" A voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

I turn to see Glades, my best friend. She runs over to me and I get a good look at her. Black t-shirt and jeans, 5'10, light skin, orange shaved down hair, nose piercing on the right, a eyebrown piercing on the left, green eyes, a smile on her face.

A best friend anyone could ever have.

"Oi! Where ya been?" She asks.

"I've been here Glades." I say nonchalantly.

"Yeesh, what happened to you?"

"Eric."

"Well, we can't deal with that right now. The train will be here in 5 minutes."

I smile at my friend. "I'll race you."

And we do.

~~~~~~~

"Listen up Dauntless-Borns! Most of you, hopefully all of you will be with us after the ceremony."

Max, one of our leaders, is currently giving a speech to our 16 years olds.

"Those who will choose to stay with us, we will welcome you back home with open arms. Those who will leave, forget about us, your friends, your families. We will no longer accept you, only as a traitor. Choose wisely."

He walks through a train door to the other cars amd everyone resumes their conversations.

I stand with my back against a pole and watch as Eric come over to me.

"Y/N."

"Eric."

"How long are you going to stay mad at me?"

"Until I'm not."

"And when exactly is that?"

"When it happens." I bark at him.

He smiles. "So tough, Bee."

(A/N- BEE IS A NICKNAME ERIC GAVE YOU IT'S NOT AN ACTUAL NAME)

The train slows down, indicating that we need to jump off.

"I'll see you back here?" He asks hopefully.

"I'll see."

He sighs, "Fine."

I run and jump off the train.
~~~~~~~~~

A few of us Dauntless didn't go inside to the ceremony, just waited outside of it. Our orders were to make sure the initiates knew to jump onto the train when it arrives.

"I wonder how many will transfer out." Glades says.

"Not that many. Dauntless is the best. " Theo replies, rubing a hand through his black, loose hair.

"You never know." Glades snaps.

"Gosh, it's been like 2 hours. It's boring just sitting here." I say.

"So why didn't you go inside?" She asks.

"Gross. I didn't want to."

" Hmm.....You're hiding something."

Theo buts in. "And so what? She doesn't need to share her secrets with you Glades."

Before she could respond, the train horn blares.

Theo smiles. Coming from the Hub, Dauntless, including the initiates, screaming, howling, and over-all having fun.

The train gets closer and slows down.

Theo laughs. "Showtime ladies!" And he takes off.

Dauntless soon follows his lead, running next to the train then jumping on.

I too, run and feel the adrenaline rush through my blood as I grab onto the train car handle and swing myself inside........

Only to collide myseof eith Eric's chest.

"Ouch." He jokes. He pulls us backward from the edge.

"Any transfers?" I ask.

"12 in 2 out. Although one couldn't get on the train."

"Thrilling."

"So........"

"So?"

"Do you forgive me?"

I roll my eyes and laugh. "Yes Eric, I forgive you."

His piercings sparkle in the sunlight. He leans in for a kiss.

"But," I hold a finger up to his lips. "You owe me a date."

"Anything for you, Bee."

I look over to the initiates. "They have no idea how hard this will be."

Eric laughs in my ear. "But they'll make it. Most of them anyway. Any plans after we get in?"

" I have to help Four with the transfers. After dinner, nothing much. "

"Dessert and knife throwing?"

"You always know how to make me happy Eric." The train slows down amd I step onto the edge. He smiles

"I'll meet you there." I blow him a kiss.

Then I jump.

A/N- This chapter was pretty short but trust me, it gets longer as the story progresses. COMMENT IF YOU'RE READING THIS