Chapter 2

I feel weightless, suspended in the air.

Almost ....Free.

My feet hit the pavement with ease. Even though I've done this a million times I still enjoy every second of it.

A scream. An ear piercing scream.

I turn my head to find Rita, sobbing. She's staring at the edge, staring below.

I look over the edge, and see her sister, Carmen, sprawled out on the pavement.

I sigh. Even the Dauntless-borns aren't safe.

"Listen up! My name is Max! I am one of the leaders of your new faction!" He shouts, standing in the ledge.

"Several stories below us, is the memebers' entrance to our compound. If you can't muster up the will to jump, you don't belong here. Our initates have the privilege of going first. "

"You want us to jump off a ledge?" Someone asks. I turn to a voice. An Erudite girl. Her mouth hangs open in shock.

"Yes," Max says amusedly.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?"

"Who knows?" I smirk.

The crowd in front of if the newbies parts open for them.

No one moves. Some of them acting casual, as if they aren't scared.

Finally, someone walks to the ledge. Once I see them, I'm surprised.

A girl. From Abnegation.

A stiff.

She stares over the edge and peers down.

She takes off her outer shirt, leaving her in a grey t-shirt. A few catcalls, and I laugh.

She takes a deep breath, the jumps off the ledge.

Everyone is quiet.

Then the initiates line up and start jumping off. After them, the Dauntless.
My turn.

I smile and laugh as I stand on the edge. The Dauntless cheer and holler for me. I turn to them and wave, then backflip off the ledge.

I laugh as I freefall, listening to the wind in my ears. It's so beautiful.

I hit the net and bounce on it a fee times giggling, as Zeke pulls me off.

"Good times Y/N?"

"Always."

He rolls his eyes. "You're such a thrill seeker."

I stare hard at him. "Don't call me that."

He puts his hands up in defeat. "Geez sorry."

I turn and walk up to Four and his group, the transfers. He's in some Candor girl's face.

"Well Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart mouths, I would've joined their faction. The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Got that?"

She nods.

Four turns on his heels then starts toward the shallow end of the tunnel. The transfers follow in silence.

We walk into a set of double doors that lead into the pit.

I laugh as I look at the transfers faces. So awed and amazed.

I stare at the blur lanters that dangle above the store paths.

"Hi." A deep voice says behind me.