~Chapter Eight~

Told ya

Last we saw of Petra, she and the rest of the Clarion crew had made it through Ri-Shung and met the Seer, who, upon seeing Petra, said she'd been waiting for them.

That was chapter 6, btw, and I'll recap the others when I get there

Some of this is edited, some isn't

Big surprise, right?

Hhhnnnnn

I was feeling significantly less stressed about this chapter, though, and that's always good

Big shoutout to @AwesomeYay99 for boosting my morale about this whole thing 💙

----

"W-waiting for me? How?" Petra asked, taken off-guard. Kiah elbowed her. "She knows everything, remember?"

Oh. Right. Petra thought. The Seer smiled gently at her. "You're not the first to respond like that. I know I really shouldn't flaunt my abilities, but I'm afraid I forget sometimes."

Petra took a step closer to the woman, briefly wondering if she could see through those foggy white eyes. "If it's true you know everything that happens in Clarion...do you know what happened to me? How I got here?"

The Seer nodded once, her light expression slipping away. "I don't know the full story, but I can guess. You were attacked by a horrible creature, the likes of which this world has not seen for centuries. I'm not sure how you encountered such a monster, but it followed you after you were brought here by an ancient, unknown power, probably another monster like the first."

"So...the thing that killed the Nelet man...it's here because of me?" Petra asked quietly. Someone's dead, because I'm here?

Glancing away from her, the Seer hesitantly said, "Yes, I'm afraid so."

Evan reached over and gently touched her shoulder. Petra startled slightly; she'd almost forgotten the Seer's guards were still there. "It's not your fault. You didn't come here of your own free will, you couldn't have controlled what was following you." He told her earnestly, diamond eyes tilted sympathetically.

She didn't bother to shake him off, but she did say, "But it did come here for me, so I should have to deal with it. Do you know where it is? What it is?" she asked the Seer.

The tall woman shook her head. "No. I believe it's lurking in some of the deeper tunnels under Clarion, but I'm not sure where. My abilities are, more often than not, unhelpful when it comes to specifics. So, no, Kiah, I do not truly know everything."

Kiah jumped at being referred to by name, then squinted at the Seer with an extraordinarily suspicious expression. "If you're not good with specifics, how'd you know our names?"

"Ah. Sorry, I was unclear. My abilities aren't good with searching for specifics, though I can get specific information, like names, without trying." The Seer explained with a kind smile, though it vanished when she looked at Petra again. "I don't think you'll like to hear it, but you can't stay here, Petra. You must go back to Beacontown. There's trouble brewing, and you need to take care of it."

"What? No! I can't leave, not with a monster I brought running around under Clarion! It's here because of me, I should be the one to deal with it!" She objected.

The Seer was already shaking her head. "You will have your chance, trust me. Things will only get worse for you if you remain in the city."

"What about us?" Jay asked. "Is Clarion really on the brink of war? What's gonna happen if the city turns chaotic? More chaotic, I mean."