13.

Collins and I ended up walking along the hallways of school, making sure to whisper only. I never really got to know him as much as i was doing now, he seemed selfish and stuck up from the surface, but really he was sweet, and caring

"Whatchu thinking of." he looked down at me due to height difference

"Nothin'." i shook my head taking deep breaths to try and calm how tired i was.

"You should probably head home" he said, abruptly stopping, making me stop as well

"Yeah." i agreed, smiling at him

"Where do your parents think you are" he asked

"They're not home. Never are. So..didn't really ask" i explained, making him nod

"Must be cool" he chuckled, starting to walk again. I just nodded, not being completely honest.

It wasn't exactly fun. It was lonely. They weren't the type of parents to just leave and never bother to remember they had a daughter, which i was grateful for. They cared, and always tried their best to come home as soon as possible, but work is work. And it wasn't always possible

"I left my car not too far away from here." i said as we approached the main doors of school. "I'll probably just leave" i smiled, giving him a wave, earning one back.

I headed towards the '24hr parking lot' near school.

As i was walking, i could feel the slight burn from the peeking sun, blinding my eyes. I rubbed them a bit, getting rid of the feeling and continued walking.

As i approached my car, i opened up my bag, looking through all the stuff i had in there trying to find my keys. I groaned, realizing they were at the bottom.

Finally i took them out and got in, placing them on the ignition and slowly backing up my parking space.

As i left the small area, i saw a bunch of kids on the sidewalk with jackets and gloves trying to protect themselves from the cold morning.

One of them seemed to really stick out to me. Flushed cheeks, pink lips and hazel eyes already looking my way. A face of guilt i've never seen before, looking me dead in the eye. It was Jacob.

Seeing him like that, regretful and almost in pain, made my heart feel heavy. i couldn't look away, and neither could he. Our eyes were stuck on each other. His tired red eyes stud out, signaling me he had been crying. And as if i could feel it, my heart broke.

The toughest, most complicated boy i knew, was looking at me, with crying eyes i've never seen before.

I felt my vision get blurry, as if his condition was affecting me in a way. This was my fault. Maybe i was wrong. I shouldn't have said that. I didn't let him explain. All of this thoughts were building up stress and guilt of my own.

A loud horn was heard from behind me, scaring the thoughts from me. I placed a hand on my chest, calming myself. I decided not to look back, i was a mess by now. A crying, guilty mess.

My foot hit the gas pedal and i was off.

Later that day, i got home, fixed myself and took a long hot bath. After my skin became clammy-like i got out and rinsed off with the cold shower water.

I wrapped my hair up in a pink towel and applied a moisturizer to my face like i normally did. I laid on my bed, facing the ceiling for what seemed like forever and more.

The towel was wet by now. so i took it off, letting my still kinda wet hair fall out. I didn't move, or talk. Just thoughts running through my mind.

My phone had rang a few times, but i ignored it. I couldn't bring myself to fake a normal conversation.

I could feel a small tear roll down my cheek, but that was it. I couldn't feel anything else. I wasn't happy, or sad, or angry. Just empty.

More time passed by and my hair dried up, allowing small curls to form that weren't usual on my person. I didn't care to do anything to it. Just let it be.

I heard another 'ding' from my phone. My current status wasn't allowing me to reach out and get it. But something inside of me felt the need to turn around and do the effort.

I finally did and felt a few cracks here and there from my back due to my uncomfortable position. I lifted the phone up and scanned over the message.

from: baby
"i need to see you."

My heart jumped, causing my senses to come back to me. I slightly smiled, remembering the name Jacob had chosen for his contact on my phone.

from: me
"come over."

I stood up, and regretted sending that last message. Oh well, there was nothing to do now. After a while i got over it and convinced myself it was a good idea. I put on some comfy boots, and my favorite oversized sweatshirt, walking downstairs and out the door to my porch.

I waited. I waited with my hands stashed inside the tiny pockets of my sweatshirt and my cheeks turning a slight pink color.

The wait seemed eternal. It felt like i was going to freeze out here, but i stayed. I stayed put because i knew i should. And because something in me didn't wanna go in and forget about this. I stayed put, until i felt a little splash of warmth take over my body like it was hearing my complains.

Big strong arms were now wrapped around me. Keeping the cold out. A head resting on the top of my own, making me snuggle up into his chest.
I knew who it was, and i didn't mind. I loved it. I loved this.

Neither of us said anything. We just enjoyed each other's company for unexplainable reasons. Time seemed to go on slowly now, but i wasn't complaining.

"I'm an asshole" he whispered, breathing heavily

"You were right." he started. "It was stupid, and shitty, and selfish of me" he said "and you don't deserve any of that."

i listened carefully. Containing whatever was urging to come out, to myself.

"I know it doesn't make it better now.." he sighed. "But i'm sorry"

That made me smile, it was a mixture of butterflies and excitement.

"This stupid thing happens and i loose it. Trying not to loose you when you're not even mine." he admitted. My heart jumped, in the best way possible. I was shocked, and didn't know what to say.

"I understand if you never want to talk to me again. I deserve that." He gave up. letting it all go.

I still didn't say anything, just kept enjoying being under his arms. His smell was something i loved. I never got enough of it.

His grip around my loosened, and he took my silence as a type of answer. A negative answer. He tried standing up and leaving but i tugged on his sleeve, pouting at the sudden coldness that surrounded me.

"Did i mention i'm a big fan of second chances?" i say with a grin.

His face lightens, leaving his saddened expressions to fall. He swiftly placed his arms back around my shoulders and kissed the top of my head. Holding me closer than before.

I smile before breaking our hug and stand up.

"Let's go inside" i reach my hand out for him to take, which he happily grabs and we walk into the warmth of my house

I'm really bad at ship names but i feel like Jacob and Maya need one 🤔
hope you enjoyed !
-Maria <3