HOMEcoming

The rest of the Dyke family showed up nearly two hours after 2/3rds of the triplets arrive at the emergency room. They're wearing fancy clothes, a reminder they came from a theater. 

Alana is being comforted by her husband, and Riley scrambles to sit next to Rey. I guess when one of your other thirds are hurt, you cling to the rest for comfort.

After Rey updated them on Reagan's condition -the surgery went well but it'd be another half an hour or so before she'd wake up from anesthetics and family could see her- the Dykes turn back to me and give me an apologetic look.

"Oh, Barkley! I'm so sorry you had to be here through all this! Rey can take you home, I'm sure you want to get some sleep after all this," Alana pats my arm and I give her a tight-lip smile.

"Well, if it's alright with you guys, I'd like to stay to see Reagan? Just to check up, it'd make me feel better. But I can totally leave if I'm in the way! I understand if you just want to be with her!" I grip the seat of the chair, praying they let me stay.

"Barkley was the one that figured her appendix exploded," Rey speaks on my behalf and I almost feel embarrassed, "He was with her."

Jaycob glances at his wife next to him, across from us, "Well, I guess it'd be alright. I'm sure she'd be fine with seeing you too if you did save her life."

"Oh! No, no, I didn't save her life at all! I've just been told I'm a hypochondriac,"I let out a nervous chuckle and am relieved when they all smile too.

When everyone else settles in and talks or plays on their phone, I lean into Rey -trying not to pay attention to the smell of his deodorant or the soft cloth of his hoodie. 

"Don't throw me under the bus like that again,"I try to keep serious and harsh, but also too quiet for anyone else to hear.

My breath hitches in my throat when his head turns towards me slightly, his breath on my face. I didn't know I need this level of intimacy, but I welcome it.

"Then don't go around saving my sisters lives," His breath is barely above a whisper, but his tone isn't serious like mine.

I swallow and quickly sit up. I shouldn't be doing this. I can't be doing this. I should not be getting this close to my straight, neighbor who zero interest in even befriending me. 

I close my eyes and try to block out all the sounds -and the very hot body next to me- that engulf me. I wait and wait, rubbing the hem of my shirt between my fingers, and bouncing my leg up and down. 

"Reagan Dyke?" My eyes pop open and we all jump up, impatiently following a nurse past the doors and into the real emergency room.

We pass open and closed doors, nurses scurrying around, a few doctors reading on computer monitors. It's not as frantic as in the shows. Fluorescent lights are probably totally drowning me out, but that doesn't matter. 

We are shuffled into a small room, I let the real Dykes go first. Reagan's parents bow down and carefully wrap their arms around her. I feel a small smile find it's way to my face at all the relieved faces and warm embraces. Even Rey hugs her sister, the most emotion-filled thing I have ever seen. 

After all the greetings and checking to make sure Reagan's okay, I see Rey glance at me and my place still in the doorway.

"I guess you did decent, picking a future doctor for a friend," I tilt my head at his remake, wondering what he means till everyone in the room looks at me.

"Oh, me? Ew, no way. That's too many nasty things and body fluids. Uh-huh, no thank you,"I swipe the air with my hands and the room chuckles.

"Ow," Reagan cringes, so all our smiles drop, but Reagan still keeps hers, "You guys shouldn't have brought him. We all know he's going to make me too much!"