Bully Buddies

There was only one passing period where I distinctly saw Rey. But after the night of homecoming, I couldn't help but look a little harder to find him. But, it's surprisingly hard to stare at someone without making awkward eye contact, so I had to try and be sneaky. 

I've never been one to talk to people during passing periods. I'd rather just go to class and get it over with. And, maybe, I was a little scared of being late. I just like to be on time or perhaps a little early. 

Right now I was at my locker trying to ease my calculus book out from in between a pile of papers and a Spanish textbook. It wasn't easy, the papers threatened to spill all over if my movements became too much. It was yet another reminder I need to get my shit together. 

"Hey, look!" I knew the voice. I've since learned his name is Jason, "Two faggots in one hallway! It's like they have some special bond pulling them together!"

I sigh and turn around, my eyes sweeping the hallway to see who the other kid was. I could tell from the annoyances mixed with fear on his face, that the boy with red hair was the second victim. 

His eyes contacted with mine, and when Jason saw that, he jumped right in, "Are Y'all gonna make out now? Isn't that only thing you homos do? Spread sex diseases and shit?"

I turn, quickly and swiftly pulling the math book out and slamming my locker. Neither the other boy nor Jason and his posse has moved. It was like a chess match. But I didn't have time for this, I didn't want to be late.

"Actually," The words rolled out of my mouth without a second thought, "I'm pretty good at ping pong too. So, you know, I only pass diseases when I can find the time."

Jason's jaw tightened, eyes narrow. A quick glance at the other boy verified that he wasn't about to come in and stand up against Jason too. I wasn't going to make him, I knew there are people at there that have a hard time standing up. Unfortunately, Sheppard is one of those people.

Jason grabs a fist full of my shirt, "Listen here queer," I try -unsuccessfully- to not laugh at his rhythming. But it just makes him madder, "Don't act all high and mighty, all you are is a sick sinner-"

"Jason!" One of Jason's goons call in a frantic voice, "Smit's coming, we've got to go!"

Jason reluctantly let's go and steps back but doesn't leave without giving the boy and I a dirty look. We watch them stalk off before I turn to the red-haired boy.

"So, he's been up your ass for a while?" 

The boy scratches the back of his neck with a sheepish smile, "Yeah. Jason practically lives int he church. When I came out, he made it his god agenda to make my life hell. But it was fun watching you play with him."

I like his smile, a boy next door kind of vibe. Unlike my actual boy next door, "I know, honestly straight church boys have the most sensitive self-esteem. Like, get over yourselves. Whatever, now we're bullied buddies."

I tilt my head and he laughs, "Yep, now we're bullied buddies. I'm Braden Kester."

"Barkley Bush. What class do you have next?"

It felt good to have someone who understood next to me. And he's cute.

~~~

"So you've moved like six times? Holy shit, is it crazy?" 

Braden's come out of his shell the more I've talked to him. I've been talking to him in the hallways, getting to know him better. As far as I knew, we were the only openly gay boys at our school. It just made our friendship better, finally having people to talk about stuff to.