Never Ready

"Are you ready kid?" Happy places a gentle hand on your shoulder, a small gesture of reassurance and comfort, "Pepper said you don't have to do this," he tells you again for the fourth time.

You shake your head, hands in your skinny jeans pockets and, a somewhat, smart shirt on. Pepper and Tony had repeatedly told you, you didn't have to do an 'announcement' or weird press junket, but you did. You had to get out in the open, you had to say your piece and if you didn't now then when would you? Spending time with Mj, Ned, and Peter really helped calm your nerves and had offered to be with you today but this was something you had to face alone. Anyway, Tony's people kind of recommended that you do it, not recommend, told you to do this.

The doors open, many voices and cameras flashing peak through the doorway. Tony standing a grey suit smiles at you, a nervous smile, you hadn't ever seen him this nervous. Even when he said he was Iron Man he seemed calmer than now.

"You look how I feel," you chuckle walking up to meet him, he lets out a shaky exhale and starts brushing off the imaginary dust from your shoulders. "What's wrong?" Your voice comes out as a mumble but Tony still hears it, he catches your eye for a brief moment.

He shakes his head, running a hand through his hair, "I hate you have to do this, hate that you don't get to be a normal kid that only has to come out to their friends and family, not this, not the whole entire world," he sounds angry, you look over his shoulder as Pepper steps out and gives you a small smile.

"The whole entire world is watching people like me anyway," your eyebrows furrow, "being a Stark doesn't change that, I'd still have to live this moment, no press, but same judgement and ridicule. Just wish mum was here, she's really good at these things-"

"Yeah, Lauren has always been good at handling the media but it's just me and you," Tony chuckles as he cuts you off, you nod with a slight smile, "say your piece and then, if you want to, you can answer questions. I and Pepper will be right beside you, if you need anything, Pepper will be there."

The door opens, Pepper gives you a confident smile as she links arms with you and walks you out. Cameras flashing, press people calling your name before being told to quieten down, a small podium is set up with a microphone that you have to angle up just to reach you. Pepper steps behind, giving you a little nod as you turn back to face them. Cameras rolling making this an live event, everyone all sat waiting patiently for their moment to question you.

Faces of news anchors that you've seen on the TV, journalists that you have read their articles, all sat waiting for you to reveal who you are. You glance at Tony and Happy, Happy giving you a thumbs up, Tony giving you a smile but the anxiety still behind his eyes. Worried... over his son, something you didn't think you'd witness again.

"I actually didn't come prepared with a speech," you declare, "I suppose, I could say some really long speech about how I was robbed of a moment that's meant to be mine, how millions of people go through the same thing so why am I any different... why am I getting all this attention, the reason is only standing five feet away from me," that made a few of them laugh, Pepper quietly chuckling behind you,

"A man once stood in a similar situation to me, where he could have lived his life without people knowing who he really was, what he was doing and, probably, been better off. Yet, he did what he thought was best and I could never understand why till I stand here now. I could have just avoided all of this like many do. I wouldn't be his... son if I did that though," you sighed, "I am... gay," you, somehow, managed to get out.

That sparked a chain reaction of them taking photos, firing question after question. You feel a hand on your shoulder, Pepper standing beside you as the security calmed down the journalists and press committee.

"Who was the other boy in the photo with you?" A reporter managed to shout above the crowd, which managed to get everyone to settle into silence as they waited in anticipation for the reveal.

You stand in silence, not sure how to answer that. You couldn't reveal his identity, you'd be no better than him, "Just... some guy, he didn't want his identity revealed, obviously, so I'm not going to reveal it as revenge."

"What does your father think-" Before the journalist can even get their question out, Tony is pushing you towards Pepper and taking the stand.

"He's my son and I love him no matter what, being a parent is having unconditional love and hoping they don't make the same mistakes you make, hoping they learn from them like you have."

Pepper tugs on your bicep, pulling you gently towards the exit as Tony deals with the onslaught of questions, better him than you, "That was really well done, Y/N," you chuckle, your heart racing inside of your chest, "Stop worrying over how you did, your only intention was to set the record straight, you've done that and I am so proud of you." She wraps an arm around your shoulders as you slowly walk down the corridor.

You nod once, "Feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders," you sigh out, "I know people will still say sh-stuff but, at least, I don't have to go into school on Monday and have people looking at me trying to figure it out themselves."

Pepper chuckles lightly, "I'm glad you're here with us again, I've missed you," she pulls you in for a real hug, "I've been trying to get hold of your mother, she's in France and Oliver refuses to cooperate with me." She informs you, you sighed and shut your eyes tightly for a moment before pulling away and shrugging, "don't pretend you're not hurt, Tony thinks he can get away with it, and he does, but don't you do start pretending with me too."

You frown, "What's wrong with Tony?"

She shakes her head, "Nothing to concern yourself with, I try to not get involved in all that Avengers stuff but he's been having a tough time since they disbanded, essentially. He doesn't talk about it much, you've helped though, despite the hiccups he has something to focus on."