Not A Damsel

*EDITED CHAPTER 2021*

"What the fuck?" You yell, eyes blurring with frustrated tears, although you don't let them fall, "Seriously? So, all this time you've been Spider-Man, all those times we've talked and you've been him?" Peter nods once, head lowering and hands toying with the mask of his suit.

"I'm sure there's a logical explanation he never told you," Tony tries to defuse the situation, you cross your arms and look pointedly at Peter, tapping your foot to indicate your impatience. "Right, Peter? You had a reason," Tony nudges him.

Peter lifts his gaze to Tony than to you, he opens and closes his mouth but nothing seems to come out. He sighs silently, eyebrows furrowing like he is having a difficult time forming a coherent sentence or even rationalising his thinking. Your jaw clenches the longer he takes, the anger rising up like bile in your throat, threatening to spill out as venomous words: that you wouldn't mean and later regret.

"I can't believe you'd side with him," You shake your head at Tony, "No, actually, you know what? I can believe it. Of course, you would, it's obvious you would. You fucking superheroes are despicable," you spit harshly, Tony scoffs, "No it's true. I pour my feelings out under the illusion it's just some guy, but no, it's Peter Parker. You all just expect me to find this, okay, to just forget he's made me look like an idiot. He let me believe he was someone else-"

"No, I think, you're upset because now you have to face your emotions to someone." Tony cuts you off, voice raised and stern, you snap your mouth shut, "Finally, someone has gotten you to admit something and you don't like that now you're vulnerable to someone, especially to someone you like."

The lab is silent as you stare at Tony, Peter looks between you both nervously.

"You can't blame Peter for keeping his identity a secret from you, Y/N, you're being selfish with this," Tony sighs and smiles slightly, "you both just need to sit down and talk this it out."

You blink a couple of times, raising an eyebrow at Tony, "I'm being selfish? So, being made to feel like an idiot is fine," Tony sighs heavily, "You don't get it and you never will because you're Iron Man. The fact I was never meant to find out is the kicker."

You don't even spare Peter a second glance before turning and walking out, quickly wiping the angry tears from your eyes and cheeks. You felt foolish and stupid, Peter had just made you look like a complete idiot. You knew you acted erratically to the situation, but you couldn't help it; Peter lied, he sat and let you tell your feelings, then he walked out and acted like he wasn't that person.

Maybe Tony is right. Feeling emotionally vulnerable is a part of it, especially to Peter. To a stranger with no face, it felt easier to admit your feelings, now knowing that stranger has a familiar face is scary... nauseating. How long was he going to lie, to pretend he wasn't Spider-Man? How many conversations were you going to have before he finally admitted to it?

"Wait-Y/N, will you stop!" A hand grabs your forearm, spinning you to face Peter, "I'm sorry, I wanted- I was going to tell you, I really was, after I was done speaking with your dad, I swear."

You shrug, already done with the conversation, "Just leave me alone, Peter."

"But I just-"

"Fuck off, okay?" You snap, he flinches back at your words, instant regret fills you but you shrug it off, "I don't want to hear that shit right now, so just fuck off."

You turn on your heel and walk down the corridor, shoving your hands into your jacket pockets. Ignoring Happy's calls to you, walking straight outside and taking deep breaths of the evenings' fresh air. This is exactly the situation you didn't want to get into, you just had to go fall for some guy- that happens to be a fucking superhero also, just fucking great.